Did Anyone Travel From Sheffield Victoria Station ?

Hello

Some people may not be aware but their used to be 2 ( main ) train stations in Sheffield.

Sheffield Victoria Station closed on the 5th January 1970 despite a public outcry

The station was the scene in 1954 of the first “mainline” electric train service from Sheffield to Manchester, the station also served places like London Marylebone, Leicester, Rugby, Lincoln, Skegness, Cleethorpes to name a few

After closure the line from Sheffield Victoria – Hadfield/Manchester/Wath became a freight only line until 20th July 1981 when BR closed the line between Deepcar-Hadfield & Penistone-Wath

Sheffield Midland- Huddersfield passenger services continued to travel through the station until the 15th May 1983

The station buildings were demolished in 1987 and all that remains today are the outlines of the subway walls and some outlines of platform 5

A group of us have started a Sheffield Victoria Station facebook page which you will find the link for at the bottom.

We would love to hear from anyone who travelled from Sheffield Victoria or visited the station when it was closed.

You can leave your comments on here or on our facebook page

Thanks

SVS Admin Team

Edited by Victoria Stn

My dad and I travelled regularly on a football special from Darnall to Wadsley Bridge,via Sheffield Victoria.I believe it started at Worksop or Retford.It was very popular,nearly always filled up at Victoria,but stopped suddenly about 1962.

I used to travel to Cleethorpes from there in the 1960s as a child and remember the steps going up to the station from the Wicker Archers,, its a long time ago but I can't see where the steps used to be though my mind tells me they where on the right side of the arches looking ffrom the Wicker side or is my memory playing games.

I used to travel to Cleethorpes from there in the 1960s as a child and remember the steps going up to the station from the Wicker Archers,, its a long time ago but I can't see where the steps used to be though my mind tells me they where on the right side of the arches looking ffrom the Wicker side or is my memory playing games.
yep they were on the right as if you were walkin towards tinsley

I used to travel to Cleethorpes from there in the 1960s as a child

Same here but can't remember much about the station itself

I ... remember the steps going up to the station from the Wicker Archers...
There was also a lift, complete with an attendant who collected a fare of ½d from each passenger.

In the early 1960s my school pals and I used to go to Crewe from Sheffield Victoria, via Manchester Piccadilly, for a day's trainspotting. The half-fare day return to Manchester cost 4s.9d and from Manchester to Crewe and back cost 3s.6d - total 8s.3d or about 41p. Sometimes I would get up early and go to Victoria station to see the Master Cutler leave at 7-40 am - it was usually an A3, often 60102 Sir Frederick Banbury. Memories...

I have a Sheffield "bus guide" dated May 1954 which has a complete list of departures from Victoria station. Anyone who would like JPEG scans is welcome to PM me an email address.

My first job in 1963 sent me on a night school course in Manchester travelled from Victoria for 2 years on a friday night in my own time when i thought schooling was over.

Edited by slotter47
did not finish

Used to travel from Victoria in the late 50's, get on the electric to Manchester London Rd for a day's trainspotting. For a change, if we fancied a day at Crewe we'd go via Derby. Never saw the Master Cutler but saw a few Sandringham class on the boat train from Harwich. Was there a South Yorkshireman train from Huddersfield to Marylebone or is it a figment of my imagination?

I was a fireman at Darnall Loco from 1963 until it closed in 1965 then I was stationed at Tinsley loco. I did many trips through Victoria, local goods trips between Bernard Road Sidings, Bridgehouses, Harvest Lane, Neepsend Gasworks, Neepsend Power Station and up to Wadsley Bridge.The first passanger train I ever worked on was on Christmas Eve, from The Vic. to Retford. We used to work to Lincoln, Doncaster and Cleethorpes, Darnall men used to work the Master Cutler to Kings Cross, but I never got on it, I did get a

s far as Banbury once with the York-Bournmouth, which reversed at the Vic.

Happy days,happy memories, wish I could do it all over again.

In the late fifties early sixties we use to go from the Victoria on the fishing excursions on Sat/Sun. The train would go down to Boston stopping at all stations on the way.Proper trains of course, steam trains. The last time i went on one of the fishing trains must have been around 63/64.

In the late fifties early sixties we use to go from the Victoria on the fishing excursions on Sat/Sun. The train would go down to Boston stopping at all stations on the way.Proper trains of course, steam trains. The last time i went on one of the fishing trains must have been around 63/64.

hiya, i remember the victoria station and never understood why it was closed it seemed more modern than the midland one,it had no overhead footbridges it had the underground walkway with offshoots to each platform,the last times i used it was on the fishing trips to boston these were in the fifties and some i remember would catch the early morning milk train,and another snippet was my nan had a red timetable book for the whole railways and if anybody wanted to know the train time out would come her little red book.

ps this i remember she had during the war.

I was a fireman at Darnall Loco from 1963 until it closed in 1965 then I was stationed at Tinsley loco. I did many trips through Victoria, local goods trips between Bernard Road Sidings, Bridgehouses, Harvest Lane, Neepsend Gasworks, Neepsend Power Station and up to Wadsley Bridge.The first passanger train I ever worked on was on Christmas Eve, from The Vic. to Retford. We used to work to Lincoln, Doncaster and Cleethorpes, Darnall men used to work the Master Cutler to Kings Cross, but I never got on it, I did get a

s far as Banbury once with the York-Bournmouth, which reversed at the Vic.

Happy days,happy memories, wish I could do it all over again.

i believe my uncle started at darnall as a fireman the year it closed then being moved ontotinsley where he later became a driver, 2 of my uncles worked out of tinsley as drivers