Grimesthorpe Part 3

---------------

Hi Sheila-Jean, Can you remember the number on that side of Hunsly

St of these names youv'e put on here then we could ask Hillsbro,to put

a scan on here. I would like to see any of the names match them

houses and to show my Brother. Thanks Brian.

Brian,mary shaw didn't come under hunsley st it was petre st,minnie benson lived at 61 hunsley st.

---------- Post added 23-10-2014 at 21:09 ----------

Hi Bri & Sheila a few names I can bring to mind: Emily Green was a hairdresser & worked with Dorothy Fletcher on Carlisle Rd she had a son Peter who trained to be a butcher with Jack Asher, I think he married a Pam Axleby and later opened his own shop in the Southy Green area. Harry Wood (my uncle) lived at no 48 his 1st wife (my aunt) Elsie died 1947 -1950 he remarried and had a family. Proctor's lived at no 52 I remember a son Tommy & a daughter Jennifer I think Sheila will be able to fill you in a bit more. Sheila the name Minnie Benson rings a bell but can't put a face to it. Jean J

Yes know who you mean now Jean,his second family was Rosemary,Katherine and Margaret or Barbara Wood.Not sure if there was a boy too.They lived next door to Brians brother.Think Margaret Proctor was the eldest.The Harrisons lived inbetween Woods and Proctors.

Rosemary Wood died a few months ago she married Joe Bows.Can remember Pam she had a brother called Paul lived top of Bland St.also remember hairdressers.

Anyone remember the Askhams off Draper street? Just started working with one his mum was called Elsie !

Hi Bri & Sheila a few names I can bring to mind: Emily Green was a hairdresser & worked with Dorothy Fletcher on Carlisle Rd she had a son Peter who trained to be a butcher with Jack Asher, I think he married a Pam Axleby and later opened his own shop in the Southy Green area. Harry Wood (my uncle) lived at no 48 his 1st wife (my aunt) Elsie died 1947 -1950 he remarried and had a family. Proctor's lived at no 52 I remember a son Tommy & a daughter Jennifer I think Sheila will be able to fill you in a bit more. Sheila the name Minnie Benson rings a bell but can't put a face to it. Jean J

--------------

Jean, Sheila, I knew the Proctors and the Woods and Mrs Harrison that

lived in my brothers yard and i lived next yard up where Cybil and

Dennis lived. I was more interested on the opposite side of Hunsly

St in the yard you said live in Near bus stop.

I was hoping for numbers and names, but i did ask my brother of those

earlier names you mentioned - Mary Shaw- Minnie Benson- and

Mrs Ashmore. My brother thinks it was Minnie Benson if she had

blonde hair, he not fully sure as years have move on so a lot has

been blanked out of his mind. Same as mine Ha Ha. :hihi::hihi:

--------------

Jean, Sheila, I knew the Proctors and the Woods and Mrs Harrison that

lived in my brothers yard and i lived next yard up where Cybil and

Dennis lived. I was more interested on the opposite side of Hunsly

St in the yard you said live in Near bus stop.

I was hoping for numbers and names, but i did ask my brother of those

earlier names you mentioned - Mary Shaw- Minnie Benson- and

Mrs Ashmore. My brother thinks it was Minnie Benson if she had

blonde hair, he not fully sure as years have move on so a lot has

been blanked out of his mind. Same as mine Ha Ha. :hihi::hihi:

Well Brian there was only Minnie Benson and Mary Shaw in that yard,both had blonde hair so take your pick.Sometimes bump into Minnies daughter some called her Ann others called her Grace so will ask her.

Well Brian there was only Minnie Benson and Mary Shaw in that yard,both had blonde hair so take your pick.Sometimes bump into Minnies daughter some called her Ann others called her Grace so will ask her.

------------

Thanks Sheila, I'll more likely be as you said any one of them women

but Barry said it was the end house on coner near bus stop where he

decorated.

Will be off air couple of days as taking mi laptop in for service in morning

sat. catch you soon. Hope you well and dont forget your clock goes

back this w/end. Brian. x

------------

Thanks Sheila, I'll more likely be as you said any one of them women

but Barry said it was the end house on coner near bus stop where he

decorated.

Will be off air couple of days as taking mi laptop in for service in morning

sat. catch you soon. Hope you well and dont forget your clock goes

back this w/end. Brian. x

Definitely Mary then.

During wartime I was attending Grimesthorpe Juniors school but at some point we got some schooling at a private house on Cyclops St. If you were looking up the street on the left-hand side I think it was the top yard and next to top house. If people remember it was the 'posh' side and they had the front rooms and that's where a bunch of us were educated for a time, can't remember for how long or why, I do recall it was a daughter of the family that lived there doing the teaching. All I can say the reasoning behind this had something to do with the war and as I have said before cannot remember how long this went on for. If my memory serves me right the family that lived there might have been called 'Simmonds', perhaps if 'hillsbro' is looking in he may have a scan of the time period I have outlined and could shed some light on the subject.

Hi fleetwood - your memory rings true: here is a scan of Cyclops Street residents from the 1942 directory. The Simmonds family lived at No 43, on the left-hand side near the top. Public records show that Sydney Simmonds married Alice Kempster in 1916 and their daughters Elsie and Marjorie were born in 1918 and 1922 respectively. Sydney died aged 71 in 1964; the 1971 directory shows Alice and Elsie still at No 43, about two years later the properties were demolished.

Hi fleetwood - your memory rings true: here is a scan of Cyclops Street residents from the 1942 directory. The Simmonds family lived at No 43, on the left-hand side near the top. Public records show that Sydney Simmonds married Alice Kempster in 1916 and their daughters Elsie and Marjorie were born in 1918 and 1922 respectively. Sydney died aged 71 in 1964; the 1971 directory shows Alice and Elsie still at No 43, about two years later the properties were demolished.

AM only 52 but recognise a few names on there :thumbsup:

hillsbro, can't thank you enough, it's been on my mind for quite some time and am glad it was all realised the way it was, it was really appreciated. fleetwood