Cottage lane school formally Whiteley woods school

[/color]I went to whitely wood school from 70 to 73, It was my sanctuary my only escape from a terrifying miserable home existence , granted I didn't get the best of educations but I did get fed , looked after and enjoyed a little normality . These schools weren't only for the physically ill children but also for those who could, nt deal with mainstream school as well as others . I remember mr Broughton , mr Ellis , mr windle ,the nurse and some of my classmates , Not the happiest days of my life but certainly helped me though my childhood . It would be nice to know if anyone can remember me.

Edited by pgm1957
Duplicated post.

[/color]I went to whitely wood school from 70 to 73, It was my sanctuary my only escape from a terrifying miserable home existence , granted I didn't get the best of educations but I did get fed , looked after and enjoyed a little normality . These schools weren't only for the physically ill children but also for those who could, nt deal with mainstream school as well as others . I remember mr Broughton , mr Ellis , mr windle ,the nurse and some of my classmates , Not the happiest days of my life but certainly helped me though my childhood . It would be nice to know if anyone can remember me.

I remember the teachers you mentioned were you 16 in 1973 I was 16 in 1975

I remember the teachers you mentioned were you 16 in 1973 I was 16 in 1975

Hi, yes I was 16 in the september , do you remember breakfast , steaming hot cocoa and potted meat or jam sandwiches ? How about them expecting us to go to sleep after lunch on those camp beds with the red ambulance blankets ! we used to walk down the lane to the maud maxfield deaf school to take woodwork lessons. We helped build a sailing dinghy that we sailed on ladybower reservoir . Can't remember wearing life jackets though , maybe it was an attempt to lessen our numbers a bit, LOL.

I remember the breakfast it was in the winter when there was hot chocolate. I used to go to maud maxfields but for me it was for cooking and sewing.

I used to play the trumpet

I also went there about 64-65 bread and dripping and cocoa on arrival

sleep in afternoon remember going out for walks from there cannot remember any teachers names

I remember the breakfast it was in the winter when there was hot chocolate. I used to go to maud maxfields but for me it was for cooking and sewing.

I used to play the trumpet

I had two sisters and a brother there too, my older brother david , my sister lynda and my younger sister diane , I use to play the cornet and once played in the sheffield school band at Sheffield City Hall , do you remember mr windle ? My other two brothers went to bents green school

i think I remember mr windle or at least I recognize the name. I used to belong to the Sheffield schools band. We practiced first at the education place in town and then moved to salmon pastures. I used to go once a week I think it was a tuesday.

As an adult I belonged to a brass band called Goldthorpe and later dearne valley brass.

My school music teaches was mr cowley and mr brock.

Can somebody tell me where Whitley Wood School was and was it specifically for ill children ?

Whitely Wood School was of Ringinglow rd on to Common Lane then onto Cottage Lane I was there from 1957-1960

Just discovered this site and intrigued that several people remember me:) I was only there from 09/69 to 12/71, so some people must have great memories. Ah yes, the joys of a smoke filled head's office from two people who were supposed to be trying to help children suffering from asthma - also eczema, diabetes and minor health problems. Mind you I used to arrive at school at about 07.30 and in winter Alf was getting the heaters going in the classrooms, so you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. Hot chocolate for breakfast was great, but not sure about the sandwiches.

Some of the names come back to my memory from the forum, but two I particularly remember we're Peter Wilson and Stephen Truelove. Anybody know what happened to them.

Hope to see some comments and will come back later.

John Windle

Good times at Whitely Woods School, short cuts across the Farmers cabbage patch (complaints to Robbo, Miss Robson). Yes John, I remember those curly sandwiches. Robbo bringing the poodle tucked under her arm at lunch time, with it's foot dangling over the open custard. Funny, the dog didn't show any interest in the food either. On rainy days us boys would sit & play chess together after lunch was cleared away.

The charcoal smell from the boiler room but so warm & inviting on a cold winters morning. Playing cricket on the field through the small wooden gate at the side of the play ground. I joined the School in 1969-1971 the first teacher I met was John Windle who left a lifetime impression on me. One of the first grown ups that could get through to me, Damn good Teacher!! Remember being called to his desk to receive the previous weeks New Musical Express, week after week. Colin Wilson became Head boy after you left the School but that is all I know. I don't remember many of the boys names David Mitchell, David White Known as the two David's) John Laugh, Jimmy Green (real name Peter) Paul Bradshaw my friend I was closest to. |would really like to know what came of him.