Post office messengers

My grandad, Joseph Fox, was a post office messenger/telegram boy in Sheffield from 1914 -1918 when he was called up into the army.

It wasn't until recently that I realised that he probably had to deliver the black bordered telegrams to families informing them of the death of their loved ones in WW1 - a difficult job for anyone but more so for a 14 year old lad.

Can any of you lads list the heads of the post office in Sheffield between 1968ish and 1975 ? I'm wanting to contact James, the son of one, but I forget the family surname. Thanks.

I'm sure Henshaw was the name of the Head Postmaster sometime in the late 60s. I can't remember how long for though

As a follow up to my previous notes regarding messengers. We had a meeting of PO veterans at the Bowshaw pub on the 10th December and we were joined by 2 ex messengers Alan Keen and ARO Jackson. It was great to see them after so many years. The lads have asked me to put out an appeal for any other ex meesengers who served as telegram boys between 1956 and 1964. In a previous message I listed all the guys I could remember but since then some more have been mentioned. Tony Jenkinson, PJ Cowlishaw (plum), Ossy Binnington?

Please get in touch if any of you are out there still?

As a follow up to my previous notes regarding messengers. We had a meeting of PO veterans at the Bowshaw pub on the 10th December and we were joined by 2 ex messengers Alan Keen and ARO Jackson. It was great to see them after so many years. The lads have asked me to put out an appeal for any other ex meesengers who served as telegram boys between 1956 and 1964. In a previous message I listed all the guys I could remember but since then some more have been mentioned. Tony Jenkinson, PJ Cowlishaw (plum), Ossy Binnington?

Does anyone remember Pete Rhodes? Started circa 1961 but not sure how long he was employed as a telegram messenger.

echo.

Sorry but I have no recollection of a Pete Rhodes as a PO Messenger about that time. I was a meesenger from !960 to 62.

Does anyone remember Pete Rhodes? Started circa 1961 but not sure how long he was employed as a telegram messenger.

echo.

Pete Rhodes I am sure was a messenger.He went on to become a postman driver. He was the first driver to pass the HGV class ! test. To the best of my knowledge he remained a driver and has recently retired.

hi rob just a line was a messenger 1954/56 worked with jim Dalton dennis Spellman bob charters[garth] tonny Wilson dicky downs brain keely lad called dawson and more whos names I cant remember sid fox was in charge with nunk gledhall and fred Holland whent down stairs at 18 I was a postman in 4 group then postmandriver dicky downs was a phg also alister mowet kind regards allenjenkins

Tony Jenkinson lives on the East Coast. Plum Cowlishaw I believe is in America

Does anyone remember my late father Brian Knapton he was a messenger boy around this time he had a red bsa bantam (which he de-restricted) I believe his nick name at the PO was buzz because of his speed

Rob Wardley Anydates for re-union 2014 yet. Alan Keen

What a interesting and lovely thread this is....Makes this forum really worthwhile reading, I never iknew about the messengers, I would have loved to have been one.

I see from a post last year the name Alister Mowat,could this be the same Mowat who worked at Beauchief sub post office around 1949 , the name sounds familiar and did he have a brother working at the G P O as well.?