Kids clubs in Sheffield

Do any parents on Sheffield Forum take their children to kids clubs at the weekends to get a few hours peace? A friend of mine has told me there is a really good kids club near where I live at a leisure centre but I'd just like some reviews about people who have used them.

Are they any good? Do the children like them etc? Who runs them and are they good at keeping children entertained?

Thanks.

You are doing the right thing doing your research. Some are fab, some are awful, some should be shut down.

Ask whether there is structured activity. A lot of the time the kids run around and do what they want, like school playtime. The asistant in charge then spends their time sitting down or platting hair.

I would also ask to sit in on the first session.

In general, kids clubs in community settings (local sports clubs, church halls) are excellant. This is because they are being run for the community. You have to be careful as soon as you stray into kids clubs in private settings - private gyms etc. In these cases the kids club exists purely for money, nothing else, and it is often the case that staff will be cut (to save money) or activities will be changed (to save money).

If a place is OFSTED registered check any reports there are on the net.

Hope this helps!

My boys (age 9 and 5) go to Concord Sports Centre on a Sunday morning -10.30am-12.30pm. It costs £2.80. They do art and crafts, play games, and do sports like football, basketball, netball,rounders and badminton. the boys come out full of what they have been doing and I am happy for them to go because it is run by sports centre staff who have all been police checked.

They also do a club on a Saturday morning, which starts at 9.30am. I think Hillsborough and Ponds Forge run similar schemes. If your children are family members, the sessions are free.

Hope that is of some help.

My boys (age 9 and 5) go to Concord Sports Centre on a Sunday morning -10.30am-12.30pm. It costs £2.80. They do art and crafts, play games, and do sports like football, basketball, netball,rounders and badminton. the boys come out full of what they have been doing and I am happy for them to go because it is run by sports centre staff who have all been police checked.

They also do a club on a Saturday morning, which starts at 9.30am. I think Hillsborough and Ponds Forge run similar schemes. If your children are family members, the sessions are free.

Hope that is of some help.

Hiya alirosdan, your post is very helpful thank you. Concord sports centre is where Im thinking of trying. What are the staff like?

I might go and take a look next weekend. :thumbsup:

The Concord kids club is great, my nephew and neice used to go there and loved every minute. They stopped going a few months back because they 'grew up' ( so quick! ) but I'd recommend it definately. :thumbsup:

this is fab news as i didnt think anything like this existed!!!! Personally i'm going to look into it for my 5 yr old boy.

Just a shame there isnt anything for the older ones, i remember going to my old school youth club way back when (cough cough) lol.

It was great and kept us off the streets, doesnt seem to be anything like it now!!

Thanks

Angeldom

Hi All.

Right well i've just spoken to both Concord and Hillsborough.

Concord have it pretty well wrapped up offering kids clubs for various ages

Football on mondays 5-7pm for under 8's or 7's cant quite remember now sorry this is £3.50 and you have to book in advance as it gets booked up, plus they have the swimming lessons which you have to go on a waiting list for :( . Then theres the activity clubs where they do outdoor and indoor activities and crafts Saturday 9.30 - 11am and Sunday 10.30-12.30pm both are £2.80

I am going to get my son on most of these i think as he is hyperactive and i cant always keep up with him !!!! Plus as there's so much i am unable to do due to back problems it takes a bit of presuure away.

As for Hillsborough the lady didnt seem to think they do much for 6-8 yr olds ????????? :mad::( but she is going to call back so we will see.

Hope you all have a fab weekend as the weather looks great.

A

x

As for Hillsborough the lady didnt seem to think they do much for 6-8 yr olds ????????? :mad::( but she is going to call back so we will see.

Hope you all have a fab weekend as the weather looks great.

A

x

Activities for children between 5 and 8 can be a problem due to ratios of supervision being higher than that of those over eight. We have had problems with this in the past. Keep plugging away. I know St Johns church, owlerton have a kids club on a Saturday (but its based in Hillsborough) and that's free.

My youngest used to go and always had a great time.

Nick the Vic is the guy to get in touch with.

contact the children's information service on Leopold street they have lists of lots of activities.