We will, we will rock you .or is it rob you.

It has

just been announced that my favourite band ever, Queen ,are to appear (without the King obviously) at Sheffield Arena on Dec 8th.

"Wow" thinks me a chance to see this amazing group again (the last time was a Elland Road Leeds seeing Freddy at his very best) .

Then! I looked at the price of a ticket , it is the grand sum of £88 ,a sum that excludes me straight away.

So this has got me thinking is general entertainment now just for the well off in our society ,I mean look at our local football clubs charging £30 plus for some matches (if this involves a family of three or four then its a no go for most people).

Then we have our theatres where the cost of tickets are rising by the month once again meaning that the families that would benefit most from attending the arts are priced right out of contention .

So( just as is now the case in other walks of life )is entertainment and the chance to see our heroes just for the rich

Yes.........

Yes.........

Straight to the point:hihi:

Saw them in 74,cost about 2quid,wouldn't go at today's prices,even with Freddy.

There are plenty of low cost theatre tickets if you were genuinely interested, a lot of theatre companies are charities so actively support people on low incomes coming to see their productions. However, like everything in capitalism, the purpose of a private company is to make money regardless of whether that's Tesco or Man Utd. Man Utd will have amazingly complex pricing models to maximise revenue at every turn, from seat prices to sausage rolls. Queen will have done the same. If you want things to be different then you need to start voting for it.

For example for people under 26: https://www.sheffieldtheatres.co.uk/your-visit/16-26-year-olds

Now there are booking fees and extortionate parking charges at or near venues plus how much for a pint in the interval makes it a dear do

Considering I saw Celine Dion at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago for $99 that does sound incredibly expensive for Sheffield Arena!!

However, if you really really want to see them then maybe it is worth it.

It has

just been announced that my favourite band ever, Queen ,are to appear (without the King obviously) at Sheffield Arena on Dec 8th.

"Wow" thinks me a chance to see this amazing group again (the last time was a Elland Road Leeds seeing Freddy at his very best) .

Then! I looked at the price of a ticket , it is the grand sum of £88 ,a sum that excludes me straight away.

So this has got me thinking is general entertainment now just for the well off in our society ,I mean look at our local football clubs charging £30 plus for some matches (if this involves a family of three or four then its a no go for most people).

Then we have our theatres where the cost of tickets are rising by the month once again meaning that the families that would benefit most from attending the arts are priced right out of contention .

So( just as is now the case in other walks of life )is entertainment and the chance to see our heroes just for the rich

Simple supply and demand I'm afraid.

The promoter will pay Queen a flat rate for the show. He will then price the tickets to cover Queen's fee and make a profit for himself. Queen will also, most likely, get a percentage of the gate as well their flat fee.

The promoter clearly thinks the show will sell out and has set prices accordingly. Look at the Stones in Hyde Park a few years ago. It was about £100 a ticket and 65,000 sold out in 3 minutes. Yeah, lots of tickets went straight onto the secondary market but the asking price was double, triple and more the face value. And plenty of people bought those up too. If 65,000 are willing to pay £100 or more, wouldn't you charge that? Those tickets were 'worth' £100 because they sold out in no time at all.

A promoter will charge what he thinks people will pay for the gig to sell out. If he charges less tickets will end up on the secondary market and a lot of cash would go to scalps anyway. I'd rather pay the artist £100 for a ticket than a scalp £70 clear profit for nothing.

If the show failed to sell he will know he was asking too much.

Having said that, it is definitely the rock dinosaurs that charge the huge fees. Because they and their promoter know they can. Tickets for KoL at the arena start at £50 for example. Green Day a little over £60. Bruno Mars is £42. More "reasonable."

The best way to solve it, in my opinion, is not to allow a secondary ticket market. I don't think you can sell on football match tickets for example. Have your name printed on the ticket and ask everyone for ID going in. There would be an official path to return tickets you can no-longer use to be resold at face value. That would require Ticketmaster and the other cabals to get on board. But promoters will still charge whatever they want if they know demand will be massive.

Certain bands, including U2, have insisted plenty of tickets are sold cheaply. But those are the ones that are most likely to end up on the secondary market straight away. And as stated, in that scenario you are just giving money to a scalp, not to the artist. If they had coupled it to a "no resales" policy everyone would be happy.

Edited by MamboNo5

Simple supply and demand I'm afraid.

The promoter will pay Queen a flat rate for the show. He will then price the tickets to cover Queen's fee and make a profit for himself. Queen will also, most likely, get a percentage of the gate as well their flat fee.

The promoter clearly thinks the show will sell out and has set prices accordingly. Look at the Stones in Hyde Park a few years ago. It was about £100 a ticket and 65,000 sold out in 3 minutes. Yeah, lots of tickets went straight onto the secondary market but the asking price was double, triple and more the face value.

A promoter will charge what he thinks people will pay for the gig to sell out. If he charges less tickets will end up on the secondary market and a lot of cash would go to scalps anyway. I'd rather pay the artist £100 for a ticket than a scalp £70 clear profit for nothing.

If the show failed to sell he will know he was asking too much.

Having said that, it is definitely the rock dinosaurs that charge the huge fees. Because they and their promoter know they can. Tickets for KoL at the arena start at £50 for example. Green Day a little over £60. Bruno Mars is £42. More "reasonable."

I saw the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park in the 60's and it was free.

the first glastonbury was only £1

the times are a changin'

the first glastonbury was only £1

the times are a changin'

Actually, the Pilton Festival in 1970 was free ;)

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 13:11 ----------

They did a free show in Cuba not all that long ago. The one in Rio was free as well I believe.

Queen did a free show in Hyde Park in the seventies too.

Bon Jovi did a free show in Spain recently.

I saw Kasabian play a free show in Milan a few years ago.

Edited by MamboNo5