Easter Sunday shopping?

No, at least not in big shops (= the ones limited to six hours on normal Sundays).

All such shops are by law CLOSED on Easter Sunday, as on Xmas day.

(Just so's you know)

Whilst any shop owner has the right to close whenever they want, why should religious quackery dictate when any shops HAVE to shut?

Mr Jeffery shaw needs to get his facts right. Not all shops that usually have 6hour Sundays have to close by law.

Achorste, It's got nothing to do with religious quackery, as you put it.

It was part of the agreement when the government allowed Sunday

and 24 hour opening. It's supposed to give smaller shops a chance.

It applies to shops over a certain size.

Surely people can survive 2 days of the year without shopping.

Whats this obsession with shopping on Sundays most shops in Europe closed on Sunday as it should be here .

Here's what I want to know... who enforces Sunday trading hours?

In Saudi Arabia the religious police are responsible for enforcing mandatory closures during prayer time.

Achorste, It's got nothing to do with religious quackery, as you put it.

It was part of the agreement when the government allowed Sunday

and 24 hour opening. It's supposed to give smaller shops a chance.

It applies to shops over a certain size.

Where did Sunday closing come from if not religious quackery?

I'm sure some of them small sainsbury's used to be open on Easter Sunday , but that's going back a couple of years.

Where did Sunday closing come from if not religious quackery?

I've no idea where the Sunday trading laws came from. The discussion, as I understand it, is about the current Easter Sunday trading laws.

---------- Post added 14-04-2017 at 18:03 ----------

I'm sure some of them small sainsbury's used to be open on Easter Sunday , but that's going back a couple of years.

They probably did/do open Amber, the law applies to stores over a certain size. I can't remember the exact size and I can't be bothered finding out, better things to do.

Whats this obsession with shopping on Sundays most shops in Europe closed on Sunday as it should be here .

Because in 2017 not everyone's lifestyle neatly fits into a 9-5 monday - friday working world.

Some people actually have things to do at the weekend other than some rose tinted delusion of everyone quietly going to church in the morning and sitting around for a sunday lunch in the afternoon.

In what is supposed to be a secular society no laws should exist that tell a private business when it should and shouldn't open just becuase of outdated demands from those worshiping some mythical sky being.

The 1994 Act was a start but didn't go far enough. Its clear that the 6 hour compromise we have now was was only after a major battle with the Trade Union rent-a-gobs, religious leaders and deluded keep sundays special brigade.

Scotland suffers no such restrictions so why should we.

Its just a day. One out of the seven. My work demands and international clients mean that my "weekend" happens to fall Sun/Mon. Some of my colleagues covering Middle East areas they have theirs even later on in the week.

Im sure my business is not alone and there will be thousands of others whose work demands cover periods 24/7 and have their own non work days at various days during the week, meaning their sunday is just a normal working day. Where is the protected status of their jobs? Why does all this fuss only seem to apply to retailers but any other Sunday workers are ignored.

The point is simple. Why the hell should I be forced to suffer the of inconveneince limited trading hours on a Sunday just because some archaic law.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Because in 2017 not everyone's lifestyle neatly fits into a 9-5 monday - friday working world.

Some people actually have things to do at the weekend other than some rose tinted delusion of everyone quietly going to church in the morning and sitting around for a sunday lunch in the afternoon.

In what is supposed to be a secular society no laws should exist that tell a private business when it should and shouldn't open just becuase of outdated demands from those worshiping some mythical sky being.

The 1994 Act was a start but didn't go far enough. Its clear that the 6 hour compromise we have now was was only after a major battle with the Trade Union rent-a-gobs, religious leaders and deluded keep sundays special brigade.

Scotland suffers no such restrictions so why should we.

Its just a day. One out of the seven. My work demands and international clients mean that my "weekend" happens to fall Sun/Mon. Some of my colleagues covering Middle East areas they have theirs even later on in the week.

Im sure my business is not alone and there will be thousands of others whose work demands cover periods 24/7 and have their own non work days at various days during the week, meaning their sunday is just a normal working day. Where is the protected status of their jobs? Why does all this fuss only seem to apply to retailers but any other Sunday workers are ignored.

The point is simple. Why the hell should I be forced to suffer the of inconveneince limited trading hours on a Sunday just because some archaic law.

The law is there for workers.You might give your workers days off during the week to make up for losing weekends but there are businesses that are not so generous.I was once offered a job which i rejected when he said i would have to work seven days but only five hours on saturday and sunday.If companies want to open at weekends then they should get staff who just want to work weekends.I have had to work today i have got to work tommorrow while my family have gone away for the long weekend while i am left at home.I know what you are going to say,find another job ,thats the answer all business owners give to their workers who complain.We dont even get overtime anymore it is just a take some time back when you can.Business owners have to understand that most workers are just doing a job, we are not in it for any other reason than just to earn money to pay the bills,workaholics are few and far between.We do not think the same as business owners.The law should not be changed just to keep business owners happy.You must have plenty of free time with the amount of posts you manage to make on this forum.

The law is there for workers.You might give your workers days off during the week to make up for losing weekends but there are businesses that are not so generous.I was once offered a job which i rejected when he said i would have to work seven days but only five hours on saturday and sunday.If companies want to open at weekends then they should get staff who just want to work weekends.I have had to work today i have got to work tommorrow while my family have gone away for the long weekend while i am left at home.I know what you are going to say,find another job ,thats the answer all business owners give to their workers who complain.We dont even get overtime anymore it is just a take some time back when you can.Business owners have to understand that most workers are just doing a job, we are not in it for any other reason than just to earn money to pay the bills,workaholics are few and far between.We do not think the same as business owners.The law should not be changed just to keep business owners happy.You must have plenty of free time with the amount of posts you manage to make on this forum.

The current laws prohibit a few shops from opening at certain times on Sundays. The vast majority of workers across a vast range of industries (there are very many people who work somewhere other than a shop) are not protected in any way at all by these laws. It is such an insignificant number of workers who are affected by this. Also, I'd wager that some shop workers would like to work on Sundays and currently do not have the opportunity.

The big stores which are affected most by the Sunday trading laws are the ones which are least likely to want staff to work a 7 day week. These stores usually open for long hours, say 14 hours per day. They base their staff needs around shift working, with probably only half their serving staff working at any time. Even if they did want 7 day working, the current system would not protect you or anyone that tried to insist on the 7 day week you were offered.