The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

I've gone a bit wobbly on Brexit. If there was a referendum again on it tomorrow, would probably vote to remain.

There, I've said it!

I've gone a bit wobbly on Brexit. If there was a referendum again on it tomorrow, would probably vote to remain.

There, I've said it!

And last time you voted which way?

But you are saying that you can see what May cannot,the EU imploding,why wouldn't she come out and say to the UK public that this is a good enough reason for not only Brexit,but trading on WTO rules and saving an argument over money that the EU will ask for?...........isn't this what leaders of countries are for,to know more than the people they represent?

NATO primarily represents the security,not the EU.

I know and I don't mean it an arrogant way. I picked three random countries, Germany because of its supposed position of being the strongest economy, Switzerland because it isn't in the EU proper and Belgium because it's Belgium and I was interested to see how it faired in comparison.

Germany has not seen a significant increase in wages in fourteen years. Switzerland as I touched on earlier is still subject to EU rules and regs up to a point, is unable to use German air space because of its reluctance to fully join the EU and narrowly escaped a meltdown because it has a problem with immigration. Belgium has a falling birth rate which has over the years severely effected its workforce, the shortfall is being plugged by immigration from anywhere they can which is causing problems internally for the usual reasons.

Italy just for the hell of checking a country in trouble has seen virtually no increase at any level. These reasons lead me to believe that the European bloc is not all it's cracked up to be and they are clinging desperately to an ideal.

Edited by silentP

There, I've said it!

I really appreciate you being honest about it. Takes guts to do so, even if it is on an anonymous forum.

Is there a particular thing that swayed you more than any other?

But you are saying that you can see what May cannot...

It would not be any great accomplishment: she does not seem well endowed with either brains or foresight.

---------- Post added 23-04-2017 at 17:15 ----------

Takes guts to do so, even if it is on an anonymous forum...

Some here are more anonymous than others.

I really appreciate you being honest about it. Takes guts to do so, even if it is on an anonymous forum.

Woah! He said probably, he's swaying, not yet swayed:)

But you are still not explaining how the election will strengthen Mays Brexit negotiating position,what I want is the details of how the election of a May government knocks on to a better hand in negotiations.

I think it will stop (or at least lesten) the infighting in the Tories, and shut up some of the other dissenters so she'll only be fighting on one front.

What might make even more difference is France's position after their election today. They might decide to follow the UK and come out too.

In terms of global trade, trading blocks is where its at these days.

Being a (leading) part of something bigger seems wise.

On reflection also, I doubt the likes of the majority of those that brought Brexit about, truly have the best interests of the likes of me, at heart.

In terms of global trade, trading blocks is where its at these days.

Being a (leading) part of something bigger seems wise.

On reflection also, I doubt the likes of the majority of those that brought Brexit about, truly have the best interests of the likes of me, at heart.

I have similar views. I want us to stay in the EU for trade and scientific collaboration and cooperative things of that type.

I want us to walk away from every element of political and fiscal integration. Cameron had negotiated that for us but people were too blind to see it.

What might make even more difference is France's position after their election today. They might decide to follow the UK and come out too.
Not a chance.

Result is as (I) expected, Macron & LePen, others are too far behind to catch up through official count. So it's a Macron-LePen runoff, and Macron will win it very comfortably. Expect him to snag 68+% on May 7th.

France is having its 1997/NuLabour/Blair moment with Macron. I'd expect great things from him.

LePen is having her monent, it will last until May 7th, then she'll just crawl back under the same rock as Hofer and Wilders.

Edited by L00b

I have similar views. I want us to stay in the EU for trade and scientific collaboration and cooperative things of that type.

May has already said she wants a forge a special relationship with the EU with strong emphasis placed economic trade.

You've got to remember the Conservative party have a handful of ultra-euroskeptic backbench MPs who find the very idea of negotiating a deal with Brussells nauseating - they'd rather see no deal happening at all.

Theresa May does not share their hardline enthusiasm, and one of the benefits of a GE will be the ability to sideline those voices by drowning them out with a larger working majority in government.

In the meantime the UK is already globetrotting with the message that we're open for business. The super wealthy Gulf Arab states [have said] they can't wait to sign an FTA with us once we're no longer EU members (their attempts were blocked by the EU in the past).

I see the liberal-Left are out in France, wrecking and fighting like the 'tolerant' and 'democratic' lot they claim to be. Wasn't it Churchill who said " Tomorrow's Fascists will be the liberals." ?

It said on one channel 'around 800 repressive laws brought in by the old parties.'

FN, the new French Resistance ?!