Missed appointments in the NHS

Good point. There is the risk that if people pay a penalty for missed appointments they may feel entitled to miss them.

Depends on the level the charge is set at.

If I remember, the example used in Freakonomics was a nominal penalty for turning up late to pick kids up from day care. When the nursery introduced charges the numbers of parents picking their kids up late went up. It was set low and people reckoned they were getting good value - late pick up, pay the charge, no guilt. Previously when there had been no charge, late-comers had just got a ticking off and tended to feel bad that they'd taken liberties, and therefore did their best not to be late.

That's it, yup.

Try and bring solutions: listing problems hardly ever gets things moving much.

:)

On the contrary, identifying the flaws is a necessary first step in any solution process.

Which is why these admin issues are so prevalent today- any legitimate pointing out of issues in systems are drowned out by a host of apologists either denying the problem exists, or, claiming it's effects are being exaggerated.

As for solutions- here's one, make it NHS policy that patients can record all interactions with the NHS, and that such recordings can be used in any ensuing complaints procedures.

On the contrary, identifying the flaws is a necessary first step in any solution process.

Which is why these admin issues are so prevalent today- any legitimate pointing out of issues in systems are drowned out by a host of apologists either denying the problem exists, or, claiming it's effects are being exaggerated.

As for solutions- here's one, make it NHS policy that patients can record all interactions with the NHS, and that such recordings can be used in any ensuing complaints procedures.

If you are going to immediately tar people as "apologists" for proffering a certain viewpoint contrary to you then I think it's fair to say you are just the sort of argumentative sort that gets short shrift when they tell someone they are being recorded. I'm not surprised they wont talk to you on the phone.

You can record a phone conversation - it doesn't need permission and you don't need to tell the other party. By doing so you are just going to put their backs up which of course is just what you want.

Recording the conversations isn't solving the problem or going towards solving the problem. It's a stick to beat people with when they make mistakes. You would be better off working in other ways to solve these problems - perhaps you could try the approach that works for me.

If you are going to immediately tar people as "apologists" for proffering a certain viewpoint contrary to you then I think it's fair to say you are just the sort of argumentative sort that gets short shrift when they tell someone they are being recorded. I'm not surprised they wont talk to you on the phone.

You can record a phone conversation - it doesn't need permission and you don't need to tell the other party. By doing so you are just going to put their backs up which of course is just what you want.

Recording the conversations isn't solving the problem or going towards solving the problem. It's a stick to beat people with when they make mistakes. You would be better off working in other ways to solve these problems - perhaps you could try the approach that works for me.

You can indeed record a phone conversation, but, unless you get consent for that recording, it generally cannot be used for accountability purposes, as, without the consent of the other person, it cannot be 'published' (played to a third party).

So, if the recordings purpose is as an objective record of what was really said (which it is), then it is absolutely necessary to inform the person that you are recording, and, to have their consent.

But if you are going back to them you are not replaying it to a third party. You can record such calls without giving notice and you are also permitted to use them verbatim in court or a tribunal.

But if you are going back to them you are not replaying it to a third party. You can record such calls without giving notice and you are also permitted to use them verbatim in court or a tribunal.

Recordings can be used in some tribunals, but in others, they can't.

Not that my points about recordings are soley about tribunals or courts.

They could be be useful, for example, if played to a manager in the situation where an operator has said something untrue over the phone, and, has denied saying it (either intentionally, or, because they have genuinely mis-remembered what they said).

An objective recording sorts out the truth in that scenario, whereas, if the operator refused consent during the recording, it would be, technically, illegal to play it to the manager.

Recordings can be used in some tribunals, but in others, they can't.

Not that my points about recordings are soley about tribunals or courts.

They could be be useful, for example, if played to a manager in the situation where an operator has said something untrue over the phone, and, has denied saying it (either intentionally, or, because they have genuinely mis-remembered what they said).

An objective recording sorts out the truth in that scenario, whereas, if the operator refused consent during the recording, it would be, technically, illegal to play it to the manager.

The manager isn't a third party as its the same organisation.

Now since I know you will be perfectly capable of sticking your fingers in ears for 17 pages of this nonsense, I'll refer you to the RIPA 2000 and leave it at that.

The manager isn't a third party as its the same organisation.

Doesn't matter. It's fine to record a conversation without consent, but not OK to play it to a third party (as it, another human being).

....I'll refer you to the RIPA 2000 and leave it at that.

Give me a link, or, post a quote to the relevant section and I'll happily look at it.

Doesn't matter. It's fine to record a conversation without consent, but not OK to play it to a third party (as it, another human being).

Give me a link, or, post a quote to the relevant section and I'll happily look at it.

I've given you the name of the Act.

I've given you the name of the Act.

I did notice that :)

if you-

but we both know you won't, as there is nothing relevant in there to the issue under discussion.

I refer you to the answers given in post #31

If i am notwell always cancel well before so someone else can take it.

What a waste of money,time,resources.

People who need an appointment then have to wait longer due to this issue.