The mother of all bombs - 21000lb, this is a WMD

Not quite.

Barnes Wallis's original idea for a piercing bomb did involve a design weight of 20,000 lbs.

However, the final production weight of the "Tallboy" was 12,000 lbs.

Tallboys were used against many structural targets as well as the Tirpitz.

Towards the end of the war, the design was altered to produce the 22,000lb "Grand Slam". These were successfully used against the heavily reinforced U-boat pens.

I had attempted to put a link on with the tirpitz story but my phone isn't playing. I didn't know the history and it was quite interesting. We had a few attempts at trying to destroy her.

A 20,000 lb bomb was dropped by a Lancaster bomber on the German battleship Tirpitz in WW2. By so doing ,the ship capsized and sank, seriously helping to win the war. Another useful service has just been done.

Tall Boy was big, but nowhere near as big as this one, Buck.

I think this was a test and the real plan is to drop a few of these on North Korea's nuclear infrastructure as a pre-emptive strike. Subject to Chinese backing, who America will want to rely on to stop Kim retaliating by mobilising a million troops at the DMZ.

Not quite.

Barnes Wallis's original idea for a piercing bomb did involve a design weight of 20,000 lbs.

However, the final production weight of the "Tallboy" was 12,000 lbs.

Tallboys were used against many structural targets as well as the Tirpitz.

Towards the end of the war, the design was altered to produce the 22,000lb "Grand Slam". These were successfully used against the heavily reinforced U-boat pens.

I stand corrected. Its been a long time ago and I was around for it all. I saw the Tirpitz upside down in the Gareloch among a great many war time wrecks including Japanese midget submarines.12000 pounds is still kind of big. Good job the Germans didn't drop one on Brown Baileys. My Dad was on fire warch there.

info here about what happened after they dropped the "mother of all bombs"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39705128

now this could be taken both ways....either............

A - they are reporting on what actually happened.

B - some people might think its a conspiracy to get people thinking that more need to be dropped in that area.

people in the link reckon it was nowhere near an atomic bomb, and not much more damage than a normal bomb.

people in the link reckon it was nowhere near an atomic bomb, and not much more damage than a normal bomb.

Those of us that can understand what we read KNOW that it was nowhere near the explosive yield of an atomic bomb.

So what's your point?

Those of us that can understand what we read KNOW that it was nowhere near the explosive yield of an atomic bomb.

So what's your point?

some on here were making out its use far outreached normal conventional bombs and was somehow seemingly used in a more inhumane / evil way. that was my point.

Sand coloured camouflage. Surely you must have seen this before?

---------- Post added 14-04-2017 at 01:39 ----------

I don't think this strike was aimed at anything. I think it was a flex of the muscles.

Maybe it was going out of date, so decided to use it or lose it.:huh:

I had attempted to put a link on with the tirpitz story but my phone isn't playing. I didn't know the history and it was quite interesting. We had a few attempts at trying to destroy her.

A good book to read is Target Tirpitz.I couldnt put it down,a great read.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Target-Tirpitz-X-Craft-Dambusters-Mightiest/dp/000731924X

some on here were making out its use far outreached normal conventional bombs and was somehow seemingly used in a more inhumane / evil way. that was my point.

Maybe it was a dud? You know like when you get fireworks that work but don't give off much of a bang?