Easter Sunday shopping?

I work in retail, my contracted hours include Sunday, for which I get paid time-and-a-half. So I'm quite happy to do it, and means I get more time off in the week.

Achorste, It's got nothing to do with religious quackery, as you put it.

It was part of the agreement when the government allowed Sunday

and 24 hour opening. It's supposed to give smaller shops a chance.

It applies to shops over a certain size.

Surely people can survive 2 days of the year without shopping.

The idea that a smaller shop can somehow survive because for 1 day of the year large shops are closed is clearly nonsense.

And why should anyone HAVE to survive without shopping? This isn't a religious holiday for me, it's just a Sunday, perhaps I like to do my shopping on Sundays.

---------- Post added 16-04-2017 at 21:29 ----------

Whats this obsession with shopping on Sundays most shops in Europe closed on Sunday as it should be here .

Why should it? Are you concerned that you might be forced to go shopping?

---------- Post added 16-04-2017 at 21:31 ----------

Just goes to show that the wonderful EU working time directives that the remainers tried to promote isn't worth the paper its written on for UK workers.Thats one of the reasons i didnt like the EU.My contract says 48 hours a week but i may be required to do more hours to fulfill my job requirement but unpaid.Is this illegal and if not why not.The eu just does not protect uk workers.There should have been no opt out unless the worker specifically asks.Letting the employer be able to ask was a sure way of making sure you had to opt out.I was told just to sign it ,it was non negotiable.

Does it show that? Or does it just show that you didn't understand your rights? :roll:

I wonder if the smaller shops that are/were open today, made more money than other days, seen as they would've had less competition?

---------- Post added 16-04-2017 at 21:53 ----------

Surely people can survive 2 days of the year without shopping.

Ooooo, I don't know, lol. I can understand stocking up on bits like milk, baby and pet stuff. But some just buy stuff that will probably be wasted anyway.The supermarket was rammed when I went in on friday with some people being pushy. Someone should have told them to leave their road rage in the car park! Apparently, people spend an average of 25% more than usual on their shop over Easter.

It seems like all the people who want 24/7 shopping are happy to go shopping but wouldnt want to be the ones having to do the working.I know people who only do 36 hours a week and then tell me they have had an hard weeks work.My heart bleeds for them.There is more to life than just working and shopping.

---------- Post added 16-04-2017 at 22:27 ----------

I cannot see sunday trading being changed anytime soon.Theresa May seems to be quite keen on christian values.I am not a religious person but i still like my sundays off.The only day i get to spend time with family.Family is important to me but it seems a lot of people put work before family.

You realise that shops open most Sundays already? 1 guaranteed Sunday off a year isn't very much for someone that works shifts in a supermarket...