Sheffield Forum
Your message here

The Cross Scythes, derbyshire lane

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

21-11-2013, 21:46   #21
belperite

Total Posts: 406
Do they still have only Thornbridge and no guests?
_______
Lurking since 2003!
22-11-2013, 08:18   #22
jemson

Total Posts: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by belperite View Post
Do they still have only Thornbridge and no guests?
No, they pretty much always have a couple of guests. At the moment it`s an excellent Arbor oatmeal stout.
22-11-2013, 08:25   #23
Mr Bloom

Total Posts: 3,322
Do they sell A4E on draft?
22-04-2014, 19:10   #24
jemson

Anyone been recently? Seemed to take a bit of a nose-dive after the managership change. Have they tidied up the rear of the pub?
23-04-2014, 14:26   #25
barry docks

Total Posts: 16
We used to go alot. It made a pleasant change from The Sheaf View (I believe Mr Birkett had a falling out with Thornbridge and being the sort of bloke who DOES hold a grudge has refused to sell their beer ever since!). However, it's rare we visit now. Last time was a couple of weeks ago. Saturday, about 1800. Totally deserted. On the plus side the beer was spot on and there was a great choice - though a bit too much headache material for my liking. But it doesn't seem quite the same as when the previous couple ran it. If I'm after a Thornbridge fix I'll probably stroll over to The Stag instead though this can suffer from outbreaks of middle class kids syndrome ("Stop that at once Mungo" etc etc)
23-04-2014, 14:55   #26
Jonny5

Total Posts: 3,066
It's too big so it often feels deserted. It should be doing a lot better than what it is though.

Needs to do more food and more advertising of that food, although the kitchen size is a problem.
19-05-2014, 15:23   #27
delticfan

Total Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry docks View Post
We used to go alot. It made a pleasant change from The Sheaf View (I believe Mr Birkett had a falling out with Thornbridge and being the sort of bloke who DOES hold a grudge has refused to sell their beer ever since!). However, it's rare we visit now. Last time was a couple of weeks ago. Saturday, about 1800. Totally deserted. On the plus side the beer was spot on and there was a great choice - though a bit too much headache material for my liking. But it doesn't seem quite the same as when the previous couple ran it. If I'm after a Thornbridge fix I'll probably stroll over to The Stag instead though this can suffer from outbreaks of middle class kids syndrome ("Stop that at once Mungo" etc etc)
Most of the places you go to (Waitrose, The Graze, etc.) seem to be full of children with pretentious names.
Both The Cross Scythes and The Stag involve walks up incredibly steep hills.
07-01-2017, 21:31   #28
jemson

So what us this place like at the moment? Used to go in regularly but a family that always seemed to be in there plus when the nice managers moved to
Harrogate and we stopped going in. Still not great?
08-01-2017, 00:59   #29
mediumfast

Total Posts: 1,295
It's sound
_______
I tend to believe that cricket is the
Greatest thing that God ever created
on earth...certainly greater than sex,
Although sex isn't too bad either.Harold Pinter
12-01-2017, 16:35   #30
djpeterob

Total Posts: 74
Hi,

last time i was in the cross scythes was a few months ago & i was impressed. it holds regular pizza oven events which gets very busy & has a large selection of real ales. The function room at the back holds around 60/70 people & is separated from the rest of the pub. Also the abbey on the corner of abbey lane & woodseats road has recently reopened after a re-fit & has a private function room upstairs. Hope this helps
03-02-2017, 09:40   #31
niallzi

Total Posts: 33
My dad's local, its a fantastic pub. Its ran by the Thornbridge Brewery so loads of good ales and lagers on. Dogs and kids welcome. When its empty it seems massive but the function room is great for a party, we had my dad's 50th there last year.
_______
All Rhodes lead to Hillsborough
03-02-2017, 10:17   #32
jemson

Not been for a couple of years. Have to go there soon so shall be interested to see if it`s improved / addressed problems.
03-02-2017, 10:19   #33
makapaka

Total Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by niallzi View Post
My dad's local, its a fantastic pub. Its ran by the Thornbridge Brewery so loads of good ales and lagers on. Dogs and kids welcome. When its empty it seems massive but the function room is great for a party, we had my dad's 50th there last year.
Glad it's doing well - might give it a try this weekend - hopefully not too many dogs and kids though!
17-02-2017, 16:25   #34
build

Total Posts: 19
Not enough choice o'grog!!!
_______
All the best
03-04-2017, 10:27   #35
jemson

We finally popped in last Sunday, first time in a couple of years. Pub seemed ok, quiet mind, beer in good nick although all Thornbridge. We hoped to get some food but they weren`t keen.
Reply To Topic