Proud new owner of 2 ferret kits

im after a bit of advice, i had a ferret before years ago but she escaped and i never managed to find her.

when is the best age to get them neutered i am getting conflicting information from the websites i have looked at up to now, also what injections do they need.

Edited by CHEZZFAYE

Ah they are lovely, little polecats?

Nice to see then eating raw meat as well, babies need loads of raw...Are they Male or Female? either way I would leave neutering them until around Feb/March next year when their breeding season starts, they will be nice and mature by then and it will save them coming into season as Girls and starting to smell bad and getting a bit hormonal as Boys.

I'm not sure about the jabs as ours don't go out anywhere but here, if they do they never touch the floor so we don't jab them, but if you plan on walking them on a harness jabs are a good idea..

yes both polecats but with crazy colours mum was a dark pole and dad albino so they are really light, both female.

the dogs n cats are raw fed so these 2 might as well be lol, they wont be going any where other than our house garden but with me having the other animals i thought they might need the jabs

---------- Post added 22-05-2014 at 00:18 ----------

what is the best stuff to use in the cage, iv used sawdust at the min as a temp measure until i can get them a litter tray (once they pic a corner lol).

can i use woodchips like i use in the snake tank or something else n what should i put in the litter tray

Aww, they're so tiny! I've never seen babies before!

Isn't shredded paper the best thing to use for ferrets?

Also, what's the difference between ferret and polecat?!

yes both polecats but with crazy colours mum was a dark pole and dad albino so they are really light, both female.

the dogs n cats are raw fed so these 2 might as well be lol, they wont be going any where other than our house garden but with me having the other animals i thought they might need the jabs

---------- Post added 22-05-2014 at 00:18 ----------

what is the best stuff to use in the cage, iv used sawdust at the min as a temp measure until i can get them a litter tray (once they pic a corner lol).

can i use woodchips like i use in the snake tank or something else n what should i put in the litter tray

Ah they will be very pretty, I like the lighter poley colours, with them being Girls the neutering is really important then next spring, what ever you do dont leave them for more than a week or so if they come into season as it can be dangerous for them.

I noticed the shavings in there and was thinking how to mention it without sounding horrible :hihi:, they are really bad for them...I use small shredded paper for litter tray (you might need to wedge the tray in with bricks as lots of mine like to shuffle the tray about :suspect: ) wood or paper cat litter even better IMO, wait until they use a corner then put the tray there with some of their poo in it so that they know what its for.

For bedding, in the warmer months I now only use fleeces, old dressing gowns are good, they are warm and soft not so dusty and washable, in winter I use hollow fiber from duvets which keeps them toasty warm.

Raw is the best...it is smelly in summer though and attracts flies, you might be as well to also provide a bowl of complete ferret biscuits for times that you cant leave the meat down.

Yeah I think thats everything :hihi:

---------- Post added 22-05-2014 at 10:51 ----------

There is no difference its just a colour in domesticated ferrets, wild ferrets are polecats.

im going to put some more pics on in a min, they really are tiny little things

---------- Post added 22-05-2014 at 19:03 ----------

Ah they will be very pretty, I like the lighter poley colours, with them being Girls the neutering is really important then next spring, what ever you do dont leave them for more than a week or so if they come into season as it can be dangerous for them.

im going to get them booked in as soon as i can next year, im not going to be breeding them so no point in them being intact

I noticed the shavings in there and was thinking how to mention it without sounding horrible :hihi:, they are really bad for them...I use small shredded paper for litter tray (you might need to wedge the tray in with bricks as lots of mine like to shuffle the tray about :suspect: ) wood or paper cat litter even better IMO, wait until they use a corner then put the tray there with some of their poo in it so that they know what its for.

For bedding, in the warmer months I now only use fleeces, old dressing gowns are good, they are warm and soft not so dusty and washable, in winter I use hollow fiber from duvets which keeps them toasty warm.

they havent got a corner yet i did that with my other ferret, im just going to use the sawdust until they pick to stop the cage being too much of a mess then i can use the kids old fleece jumpers. anything to line the bottom of the cage

Raw is the best...it is smelly in summer though and attracts flies, you might be as well to also provide a bowl of complete ferret biscuits for times that you cant leave the meat down.

im going to feed them at the same time as the cats in summer so 2 or 3 small portions through the day, tbh i wouldnt go back to kibble if the companys who made it paid me lol :loopy:

Yeah I think thats everything :hihi:

---------- Post added 22-05-2014 at 10:51 ----------

There is no difference its just a colour in domesticated ferrets, wild ferrets are polecats.

my bit in red lol

---------- Post added 22-05-2014 at 19:06 ----------

---------- Post added 22-05-2014 at 19:07 ----------

both pictures are of the smaller one

thought i would post an update on the girls

thought i would post an update on the girls

:D Typical mad ferrets, looking good :hihi:

Mine as a rule have the jill jabs around April time...and they usually break out again late summer.

ooo you must come to the ferret show at lowedges (lowedegses festival) i 'd llove a cuddle

ooo you must come to the ferret show at lowedges (lowedegses festival) i 'd llove a cuddle

i will next year, we are still taming them at the moment, ones really good its the other girl shes a vicious bugger

---------- Post added 03-08-2014 at 16:19 ----------

can anyone recommend someone i could send the girls to in oct when we go away, my friend is watching the house but shes scared of the fezzits