Just had a book published - how to promote??

Just written a novel over the last few years, more of a hobby than anything else. It's fiction set in Victorian times and covers the relationships between 'normal' village folks and landed gentry, with romance, manipulation and even murder thrown in!

Friends and family have suggested I consider publishing the story as they say they've thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Perhaps they were being kind??

Is there anyone out there who has published their 'pride and joy'? I've contacted various literary agents and am awaiting responses, thought about 'self-publishing' and am considering e-books as a last resort.

Any advice on the best way forward would be welcomed. Thanks in advance:thumbsup::huh::help:

Just written a novel over the last few years, more of a hobby than anything else. It's fiction set in Victorian times and covers the relationships between 'normal' village folks and landed gentry, with romance, manipulation and even murder thrown in!

Friends and family have suggested I consider publishing the story as they say they've thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Perhaps they were being kind??

Is there anyone out there who has published their 'pride and joy'? I've contacted various literary agents and am awaiting responses, thought about 'self-publishing' and am considering e-books as a last resort.

Any advice on the best way forward would be welcomed. Thanks in advance:thumbsup::huh::help:

Do you know if there are any publishers who specialize in fiction similar to yours? Do you read similar fiction yourself? Do you know who publish them? If so, why not try them directly?

Edit. By the way, Good luck.

Edited by Eater Sundae

Welcome to what is effectively a highly competitive activity with practically no reward.

Without wanting to dampen your spirit, there are thousands of people in a similar position to you and the only way you can break out of the mass is by finding an agent who is passionate about your work AND well connected.

A friend of mine writes specifically for teenagers and has started work on his fourth novel, he found a passionate agent using the many forums that exist for budding authors and, frankly, pestered her with excerpts and handwritten letters until she took notice, despite her loving his work he is now faced by the daunting task of finding a publisher that agrees. What you have to understand is that launching a book into the market these days is difficult, physical copy sales are down year on year and the digital market is flooded by poor self-published rubbish like 50 Shades (although that is of course a happy exception in terms of success...!) the only way your book is going to stand out is if a publisher loves it so much that they are prepared to push it hard and buy positioning in all sorts of digital and physical resellers, that costs even more money and tends to be reserved for the well-established authors.

So a tricky spot! Really tricky. I hope you find a good agent, I hope they do well for you, but if you do not find one, don't despair, publish it digitally (Amazon offer a useful platform to do so) and promote it yourself, see if people like it and perhaps a snowball effect pushes it into the maelstrom of social media attention which in turn might attract formal media attention, no harm in trying!

For a start, you could publish it yourself. Have a look at Kindle self-publishing on Amazon, for people in your position the usual first step would be to publish a free (unrelated) novella or short story which gets people interested in your work (or even publish a free snipped sample of your novel) then publish the full novel you are wanting to sell.

For a first time publishing author on kindle do not be surprised that the usual prices are between 99p and £3 per copy. Amazon will also take their slice.

This doesn't weigh up too bad though when you consider the very small overheads involved, no physical manufacturing/printing, no distribution, no publisher's/editor's fees etc. Worth a look.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=2654943031

Edited by RootsBooster

For a start, you could publish it yourself. Have a look at Kindle self-publishing on Amazon, for people in your position the usual first step would be to publish a free (unrelated) novella or short story which gets people interested in your work (or even publish a free snipped sample of your novel) then publish the full novel you are wanting to sell.

For a first time publishing author on kindle do not be surprised that the usual prices are between 99p and £3 per copy. Amazon will also take their slice.

This doesn't weigh up too bad though when you consider the very small overheads involved, no physical manufacturing/printing, no distribution, no publisher's/editor's fees etc. Worth a look.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=2654943031

I agree with this!

It's the same way the apple appstore work for apps. Many Indie developers (or bedroom developer) have become overnight millionaires just by releasing very simple ideas. If they catch on, or word spreads round without the use of expensive advertising strategies, you're laughing!

High quantities of low value transactions.

I've been writing a book for the past couple of years, which may/may not be now nearing completion. Of the few people who've read snippets, all have suggested I have a go at self-publishing with Kindle ... something that I may well look into. To be honest, money isn't the reason for writing though ... it's just so that I can say I've written a book (a sort of 'wish-list' thing).

Having said that, one of my brothers has a friend who self published with Kindle a few years ago and ended up making a pretty tidy sum (around ten grand in next to no time, if memory serves) just for what was ostensibly nothing more than a hobby. This seems like a very reasonable way to get into publishing to me! :thumbsup:

Beware of Publishers! Their "rake off" is many times higher than you would get on Royalties!

Said from experience after over 50 years in the printing game!

:)

Self publish via Amazon Kindle. A friend of mine did it and it worked for him.

Thanks for all the information and advice - it's very much appreciated. Pretty sure will go down the self-publishing route and take it from there? I'm not really in it for the royalties - I just want to share my work and hope folks who will read it, enjoy it?

Thank you again for for your kind and informative responses.:thumbsup:

Actually, the OP will find plenty of help and similar topics covered here, on the Forum's very own Writers' Thread: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=80

I'm writing my debut novel myself, and will hopefully publish later this year.

Best of Luck to the OP.

---------- Post added 01-04-2015 at 13:02 ----------

Moderators, please see if you can move this thread to Writers' Group?

OP, check out a book called Writer's Market (a new copy is released each year). It tells you how publishers want to be contacted, the usual fees they take 10% national sales 15% international (a few years ago), and what they want from their writers. MOST good publishers require an agent though.

The book also lists agents, what their fees are on average, etc.

I've just spent a couple of years preparing and writing a historical fiction novel. It's been published via Amazon and has sold reasonably well so far - got some positive feedback from friends and family who have read it so I'm quite happy that it's being enjoyed.

Has anyone on here been lucky to get this far? (It seemed difficult at some stages 'cos of other commitments) I'm presently busy (when time permits) writing a sequel and enjoy doing it but I'd love to promote my first so as many folks as possible can read it and hopefully enjoy it.

Anyone any ideas how I can best promote my book? I'm trying the obvious (word of mouth, posters in strategic spots, facebook etc etc) but would welcome any other suggestions. Thanks in advance. :huh::)