Connecting a gas cooker?

Hi there,

I've just bought a gas cooker and need it connecting. Does anyone know any corgi registered people to come and connect it and probably check it too. We've tried calling a few but they're all booked up til after xmas? any ideas?

Cheers

try dave 07790522591 or 01142863252 he is corgi reg and will call asap cheap n cheerful too!!:thumbsup:

shouldnt there be what is called a (female) "union" joint on the end of gaspipe in ur kitchen & a flexi pipe wih a (male) union joint on the cooker .... just plug in & twist

Please don't meddle with it as 'wizzard' suggests. How would you know that there was not a gas leak? Theres more to it than just plugging the cooker hose in. Is the cooker new or secondhand. Either way a CORGI gas fitter would also check that it works efficiently and safely - thats what you are paying for :thumbsup:

well...... these "union" joints are i believe corgi approved things , fair enough im no gas fitter myself but ..... there are ways (simple) to test these couplings .... an aerosol is available & u spray the coupling & this would show up etc or a simple way would be to lather the coupling in washing up liquid & look for escaping bubbles ...... if the cooker is new id imagine it unlikely there to be any leak on the appliance ... but if in any doubt , a corgi reg' fitter would be the reccommended way forward

added note:

i have plugged in & out several cookers in my life & never had the slightest problem with union joints

while i don't disagree with your principle 'wizzard' i do disagree with the practice. Personally, i think that it is ludicrous that the gen. public can go to any DIY store and buy anything from a new gas boiler to leak detection fluid :loopy:

Stores cover themselves with a 'use a CORGI installer' sticker.

2 other things to note. Firstly, washing up liquid is known to corrode copper so you may eventually end up with more than a few bubbles. Secondly, new does not necessarily mean safe. A 14yr old girl died from carbon monoxide poisoning from a fire that was found to be a manufacturing fault.

Thats not so say there aren't many competent DIY'ers who think they are able to do this(and i'm not saying you are not competent) - but there are also many competent DIY'ers who think they can, but they can't

added note:

its not a union joint its called a bayonet fitting -there are 4 ways of correctly installing a cooker hose to one plus 4 incorrect ways

Thats not so say there aren't many competent DIY'ers who think they are able to do this(and i'm not saying you are not competent) - but there are also many competent DIY'ers who think they can, but they can't

added note:

its not a union joint its called a bayonet fitting -there are 4 ways of correctly installing a cooker hose to one plus 4 incorrect ways

i agree, fitting a cooker point is easy, connecting a cooker hose is easier still. working out room volume-easy, gas rating-easy, tightness testing-easy, ventilation requirements-easy, checking fsd's ant thermostats-easy, writing out a safety certificate- easy, five years in jail if you get it wrong????

well...... these "union" joints are i believe corgi approved things , fair enough im no gas fitter myself but ..... there are ways (simple) to test these couplings .... an aerosol is available & u spray the coupling & this would show up etc or a simple way would be to lather the coupling in washing up liquid & look for escaping bubbles ...... if the cooker is new id imagine it unlikely there to be any leak on the appliance ... but if in any doubt , a corgi reg' fitter would be the reccommended way forward

added note:

i have plugged in & out several cookers in my life & never had the slightest problem with union joints

u just must have good luck.as washing up liquid doesnt work properly,it as to be diluted,u need a bottle of leak detecion

fluid,which i dont think u can buy in the shops,i work on gas mains for over 16 years,and trust me washing up liquid does leave leaks,one leak could kill everyone in the house for the sake of a few pounds,PLEASE DONT LISTEN TO OTHER PEOPLE RING A PROFESSIONAL

IF the bayonet fittings on the back of cookers were not intended for you to fit yourself they would not be there in the first place IMO the bayonet fittings are foolproof stop paying the so called corgi fitters just plug it in and then phone transco tell them you can smell gas they will come within the hour

do a pressure test on the meter and it is free job done cost nil.

And if you have just moved in the whole house will be declared safe no money grabbing corgi fitters involved no cost to you the corgi fitters have been given a licence to print money

u just must have good luck.as washing up liquid doesnt work properly,it as to be diluted,u need a bottle of leak detecion

fluid,which i dont think u can buy in the shops,i work on gas mains for over 16 years,and trust me washing up liquid does leave leaks,one leak could kill everyone in the house for the sake of a few pounds,PLEASE DONT LISTEN TO OTHER PEOPLE RING A PROFESSIONAL

unfortunately you can buy the stuff at B&Q, i don't remember it giving you a corgi badge with it tho!

working on gas mains( i presume you mean the network not the domestic installations) i reckon you will understand how volatile gas is. i have seen in person a gas supply go up in flames, very very spectactular but gawd did it scare me! also if it is you digging up the roads in darnall can you hurry up please as its directley on the route to the bank we use for buisness! lol

has anyone directed the op to the ronan piont articles on the web, that is where most if not all of the regulations and certainly corgi was born, go google it and read the devastation one small leak can produce!

IF the bayonet fittings on the back of cookers were not intended for you to fit yourself they would not be there in the first place IMO the bayonet fittings are foolproof stop paying the so called corgi fitters just plug it in and then phone transco tell them you can smell gas they will come within the hour

And if you have just moved in the whole house will be declared safe no money grabbing corgi fitters involved no cost to you the corgi fitters have been given a licence to print money

he is right, the bayonet fitting is a user fitting, designed so you can move the cooker/dryer/etc to clean behind or move to another location. but what about the appliance itself. does that need a check, what about the yearly check, compulsory for landlords and recomended for housholders. never wrong, what is the smallest room you can install a cooker in?

'neverwrong' here i think you are wrong. Bayonet fittings are not intended to be fitted by the general public. As Gavbriggs states they are intended to be used for intermittent disconnection when you need to move the appliance. Bayonet fittings are also not foolproof - they can leak - all that is holding back 20mb of gas is a small spring and seal.

I've come across many 'neverwrongs' they also go by the alias 'it-weren't-my-fault'.

To suggest that people use Transco in this way is both irresponsible and fraudulent, though i suppose it wouldn't bother you if while you were getting a 'free' check some other house exploded????