Lack of housing makes Sheffield caravan capital of the UK

You might justas well use the original story to conclude that Sheffield must be the worst place in the UK, because the residents all have caravans just so they can get away from it for a bit. :hihi:

Pathfinder demolition, the government evicted people and knocked down houses to increase houseprices. One labour's most evil policies.

1000s of houses were demolished in Sheffield, and across the North.

Except it seems that quite a lot of them weren't demolished in the end and were just left empty - so why aren't you campaigning for them to be brought back into use to relieve the (so-called) housing crisis rather than drivelling on about caravans?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/sheffield-is-uk-caravan-and-motorhome-capital-1-4522780

More caravans per capita than any other part of the UK. Because of the lack of housing, we need them too!

Can you claim housing benefit for a caravan?, we might be able to solve the housing crisis that has resulted from a lack of social housing...

Just wait till they start moving them up from London

People in Sheffield can afford caravans and like taking holidays = That's because there's a housing shortage in the city.

.............and people think I'm mad!!

Perhaps if the council acquired some nice caravans and put them on some well serviced land instead of building eco-friendly, sustainable, low impact housing units at £250k a time there wouldn't be such a shortage of affordable living.

I can't find the bit that says these caravan owners are homeless or am I missing something?:huh:

I own a tent but funnily enough, I have a house too, I suppose that's just pure greed though:rolleyes:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/sheffield-is-uk-caravan-and-motorhome-capital-1-4522780

More caravans per capita than any other part of the UK. Because of the lack of housing, we need them too!

Can you claim housing benefit for a caravan?, we might be able to solve the housing crisis that has resulted from a lack of social housing...

However it should be stressed that the majority are based in resort areas offering an affordable break from squalor and tedium.Some researchers have mistakenly assumed this is indicative of a housing shortage,but as prices testify Sheffield is an area of housing surplus and has been identified by Boris Johnson as an area "ripe for decanting Londons poor"

Im a touring caravan owner and have been for years and it is a known fact that Sheffield has a lot of caravan owners,don't ask me why but it is nothing to do with housing shortages people don't live in them, I think it may be because of the easy location of the seaside coasts we like the east coast and there are some nice sites in the peak district as well, its nothing to do with cheapness ether as we like to go abroad as well, my daughter and the gran-kids love it at cleethorpes and I often take the caravan there for her for a week.

Is there really a shortage of housing in Sheffield like chmist1 seems to keep banging on about and if there is Im sure the council would not let people live in caravans.

Edited by Shogun

Is there really a shortage of housing in Sheffield like chmist1 sems to keep banging on about and if there is Im sure the council would not let people live in caravans.

You can live in a caravan in your garden,which could allow you to relet your house and live off the rent.Otherwise caravan need to be on an approved site-these are called trailer parks in the States where many people take refuge in a mobile home.

Is there really a shortage of housing in Sheffield like chmist1 sems to keep banging on about and if there is Im sure the council would not let people live in caravans.

Demand outstrips supply for council housing, but there is no shortage overall in Sheffield.

The high number of caravans suggests that people have had surplus funds to buy what is a fairly expensive luxury. I'd assume they'd have sorted their permanent housing out first. ;)

Is there really a shortage of housing in Sheffield like chmist1 seems to keep banging on about and if there is Im sure the council would not let people live in caravans.

In some parts of the UK people are living in sheds!

Is the man in your avatar Silvio Gesell?

In some parts of the UK people are living in sheds!

Is the man in your avatar Silvio Gesell?

No they look very similar though

its the famous physicist Rontgen.