Female dog milk

I have a female border collie and I took her to be spade today and they couldn't do it becauseshe was ccarrying too much milk from her first heat we haven't breed her she hada fantom pregnancy iI am wondering if anyone knows the best thing to get and how to get it to get rid of the milk so I can get her spade thank you for all your help in advance .

Hi shontammi

Your vet should be able to give her some medication which dries up her milk, but they would probably still advise waiting until after her next season to spay her because of the hormonal upset. What they may suggest is to get her checked directly after her next season to make sure that she's not having another phantom (and to stop it as it starts, if she is) which will then make it safe to spay her 12 weeks after that.

I had her to the vets today and they said to leave her for 2 weeks and not to rub her stomach or back area as that will kick off her hormones they said that there is a syrup they use but that costs 35 pounds I don't have that kind ofoney on me at the minute with other bills she is booked in for the 6th of may to see if the milk has gone down in anyway as I am wanting her spade as soon as possible because I live with my mum and she has aale shih tzu and I don't want her getting caught and its too much hassle trying to keep them apart for a month as I'm not always in

I understand that this is hassle and expense, but unfortunately that is the way with owning an animal. She can't conceive when she's not in season, so this is about reducing the chances of her being made really ill by being spayed or having a serious bleed that risks her life.

The medication that they give is Galastop and yes, it is expensive. It works very well and usually they are clear of milk within one week of starting the treatment. As you cannot have the medication, the only thing you can do is to wait for it disappear of its own accord then have her spayed. It might help to give her plenty of exercise and don't overfeed her. Also take away any toys that she may try to fixate on.

Thank you for your advise I take her jogging and on 3 mile walks a day she's not a big eater she has got very attached and protective over me lately and very grumpy

Well, the poor mite is in a huge hormonal upheaval and must feel very confused and strange. Most bitches get somewhat grumpy around their season anyway.

Yeah she's due her next season in 3 months time but it seems she's still trying to get over this one hopefully the milk will go and I can get her done next 2 weeks then it'll be better for her that way