Online Pet Pharmacies

Hi,

Apologies if this has been discussed recently, I did look!

My Mums got a 14 year old dog, hes deaf and almost blind bless him but otherwise quite healthy for his age.

A few months ago he started shaking his head a lot, so they took him to the vet, who gave him some Sancerum for his ears. They use it every other day and it really helps.

The thing is now that everytime they want a repeat prescription they have to make an appointment to see the vet, and its costing a fortune.

Dont get me wrong, if they thought he actually needed to see a vet everytime theyd not mind paying at all, it just seems a bit OTT.

Ive looked online and Sancerum is freely available, but I just wondered if anyone had any experience of using different websites, and which ones are safe and reliable etc?

Thank you :)

We use VetUK and have never had a problem. They stock Sancerum at £9.35 for 125ml, plus postage (our postage for wormers/flea treatments is usually £1.99).

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/ear-products-c-8/sancerum-ear-cleaner-for-cats-dogs-p-881

Edited by sh3rb3t
Added web link

Thanks for those, Ill have a look :)

---------- Post added 21-04-2014 at 20:53 ----------

Ordered a couple from Animed as they were the cheapest. Thanks again

I once used VetUK and was sent human drugs instead of canine drugs....I'm sure you can imagine my anger and disappointment at that!!!

We take all our animals to Springfield so I asked for a reputable online place to use because there are so many out there and as you can imagine the previous situation had worried me about what else could possibly happen, but Springfield recommended animeddirect (which are in fact somehow linked to Springfield but they don't make any money from animeddirect), and when I looked they were cheaper than VetUK too and the service has been absolutely brilliant!

I hope you get sorted and save plenty of money!

We used Animed Direct for our dogs heart tablets.Never had any problems.

Of course for certain drugs you need to buy a prescription from your vet.

I once used VetUK and was sent human drugs instead of canine drugs....I'm sure you can imagine my anger and disappointment at that!!!

We take all our animals to Springfield so I asked for a reputable online place to use because there are so many out there and as you can imagine the previous situation had worried me about what else could possibly happen, but Springfield recommended animeddirect (which are in fact somehow linked to Springfield but they don't make any money from animeddirect), and when I looked they were cheaper than VetUK too and the service has been absolutely brilliant!

I hope you get sorted and save plenty of money!

Vets also prescribe human drugs they just don't always tell you. There'e nothing wrong with them.

Vets also prescribe human drugs they just don't always tell you. There'e nothing wrong with them.

Well I took the tablets to my vet to ensure they were ok and the vet was not happy at all - they should not have been sent and they never checked with the vet about sending alternative medicine.

I understand there are circumstances where they will be safe sending alternatives, but this of course should always be checked with the prescribing vet - neither of these happened in this instance and I was/am absolutely disgusted and will never use them again!

---------- Post added 22-04-2014 at 13:43 ----------

Well I took the tablets to my vet to ensure they were ok and the vet was not happy at all - they should not have been sent and they never checked with the vet about sending alternative medicine.

I understand there are circumstances where they will be safe sending alternatives, but this of course should always be checked with the prescribing vet - neither of these happened in this instance and I was/am absolutely disgusted and will never use them again!

Being an alternative is not the same as being for humans.That wasn't what you said,your anger was at human meds being prescribed,which is a fairly common practice amongst vets.

My vet has prescribed human heart drugs for my dogs for years as they are cheaper than canine ones. Human piriton is frequently prescribed as well as human linctus' for kennel cough.

My dogs all take human supplements recommended by my current vet.

Edited by willman

---------- Post added 22-04-2014 at 13:43 ----------

Being an alternative is not the same as being for humans.That wasn't what you said,your anger was at human meds being prescribed,which is a fairly common practice amongst vets.

My vet has prescribed human heart drugs for my dogs for years as they are cheaper than canine ones. Human piriton is frequently prescribed as well as human linctus' for kennel cough.

My dogs all take human supplements recommended by my current vet.

For a start the human drugs that were sent were not what was on my dogs prescription - they may have been a similar drug but they were still an alternative whichever way you look at it as they were not the drugs on the prescription - and I can guarantee if a child was taken to A&E and canine drugs were prescribed there would be an absolute uproar, safe or not!!

I understand what you're saying about circumstances where human drugs are used and are safe for animals, but no matter what VetUK should under no circumstances have sent the drugs they did without contacting my vet and also letting me know what they were sending any why!

For a start the human drugs that were sent were not what was on my dogs prescription - they may have been a similar drug but they were still an alternative whichever way you look at it as they were not the drugs on the prescription - and I can guarantee if a child was taken to A&E and canine drugs were prescribed there would be an absolute uproar, safe or not!!

I understand what you're saying about circumstances where human drugs are used and are safe for animals, but no matter what VetUK should under no circumstances have sent the drugs they did without contacting my vet and also letting me know what they were sending any why!

Not disputing that BUT your emphasis was on human drugs not on the fact that the company sent you an alternative.

Using human drugs is readily acceptable and i agree sending drugs that haven't been prescribed isn't.

I thought the point of online vets (i use vet365) insisting on a prescription was to make sure that the drugs were correctly diagnosed.It does make a mockery of the system if they can send whatever they like.

Not disputing that BUT your emphasis was on human drugs not on the fact that the company sent you an alternative.

Using human drugs is readily acceptable and i agree sending drugs that haven't been prescribed isn't.

I thought the point of online vets (i use vet365) insisting on a prescription was to make sure that the drugs were correctly diagnosed.It does make a mockery of the system if they can send whatever they like.

I think that was why my vet was as mad as he was - what is the point in him spending time diagnosing, and then prescribing a specific drug for an online company to just send what they want.

My vet is currently disputing this with VetUK and I at least expect a refund for the drugs because there was absolutely no way I was going to let my dog take them. I am now using animeddirect and I'm extremely happy with everything about them.