How can I help this cat??

For the past 10 months or so, my Mum has had a cat visiting her garden every day. At first, it was so scared that it ran away as soon as the door opened but it would come back later if food was left out for it.

Over the ten months, it's slowly learnt to trust my Mum and other members of the family. It's still very wary and timid but it's now at the stage where it will let people stroke it as long as you're quiet and gentle. Any sudden moves/loud noises and he's off!

We've never been quite sure if it's a stray or not as it always seems to be healthy and in good condition but is always hungry and trying to get into the house. It's out in all weathers, day and night. I was at my Mum's today and the cat was there. I've not seen it for a while and when I saw him today, he felt a bit thin when I stroked him (though not dramatically so) He's tabby and white but his white bits have now become quite dirty, almost like a yellow colour. And one of his eyes was quite gunky. He also seemed to have itchy ears but I couldn't get close enough to see inside them.

I feel awful leaving him. My Mum can't take him in as her own cat doesn't like this one hanging around at all and tries to chase him off. My Mum has provided shelter for him on the garden and feeds him daily. What else can I do for him? He will NOT allow anyone to pick him up. He's an intact male.

Maybe talk to magsie on here , she will know what to do

Thank you. She doesn't receive PM's so I'll have to wait and see if she comments on this thread.

If it was me, I would gain his trust keep him fed and watered and make sure he has a nice warm dry hiding place outside, then once youve gained his trust maybe take him to the vets to get him checked over if he doesnt seem in a very bad state of health, if you are concerned over his health get a trap and catch him then get him to vets. x x

Have sent you a PM

If it was me, I would gain his trust keep him fed and watered and make sure he has a nice warm dry hiding place outside, then once youve gained his trust maybe take him to the vets to get him checked over if he doesnt seem in a very bad state of health, if you are concerned over his health get a trap and catch him then get him to vets. x x

It's taken 10 months to gain his trust enough so that he'll let people stroke him. Not sure how long it'll take before he trusts us enough to let us pick him up. Even if I could catch him and take him to the vets, there's no way I could afford to pay for any treatment.

If you can catch him, we will contribute to his vet's bill angel22 - he at least should be neutered :) Can't take him in though unfortunately, not with Bob - he hasn't been neutered yet himself!

That's very kind of you sh3rb3t.

Despite the fact that he's not neutered, he doesn't seem to be pestering any of the local female cats. He's quite happy curled up in my mum's garden. I thought he might be an older cat but when he yawned yesterday, I caught sight of his teeth which looked really clean and white which would suggest he isn't actually very old at all.