Pedestrian killed in collision with police car

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17823529

I hope that the police review their procedures and make sure police on emergencies use lights and sirens.

It's too late for the lad involved, but maybe we can stop a repeat.

I find it hard to undewrstand why, if the policeman regards it as an emergency, he doesn't as a minimum have flashing lights. If its late at night, he might want to avoid the siren, but at least lights would have given some warning.

58 mph in a 30 limit is a big step-up in speed, and its not unreasonable to expect drunk people to be walking about at that time, in that area (ie between West Street and a lot of student accommodation). Edit:, so why not give as much warning as possible?

Edited by Eater Sundae

Why am I sceptical about the outcome of this case.

I don't know, why are you?

The outcome makes me very uneasy - I find it hard to see how anyone could defend this policeman's action. But, I suppose I am not aware of the demands of his job.

Awful for the students family ..

Edited by Glennis

The verdict came from a jury, so we have to assume that they considered the evidence presented and that from that they concluded he wasn't guilty of the offence he'd been charged with.

The verdict came from a jury, so we have to assume that they considered the evidence presented and that from that they concluded he wasn't guilty of the offence he'd been charged with.

Yes, we only know what we have read in the papers - which is probably of a 'headline grabbing' nature

According to Radio Sheffield, the friend who was with him said ' you won't get accross before the police car' but he replied ' i can' and ran across the road, so it would seem he did see it.

A frankly disgusting outcome and yet another case of the police force looking after their own.

If it were you or I do you think the outcome would have been the same?

Not on your Nellie.

A frankly disgusting outcome and yet another case of the police force looking after their own.

Not on your Nellie.

How do you think the Police force get to influence the decision making of a jury in a crown court?

jb

I hope that the police review their procedures and make sure police on emergencies use lights and sirens.

It has.

Deputy Chief Constable Bob Dyson said the force policy had been changed since the collision.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/speeding-pc-cleared-of-causing-sheffield-student-s-death-1-4481169

According to Radio Sheffield, the friend who was with him said ' you won't get accross before the police car' but he replied ' i can' and ran across the road, so it would seem he did see it.

Anything in writing about that?

Not on your Nellie.

Whitewash!.

Angel.

Not on your Nellie.

How are you suggesting that the police caused the jury to return a not guilty verdict?