Youths outside The Rude Shipyard on Abbeydale Road, anyone had trouble

Hi all,

I cycle past here on my way home most afternoons and there's usually a gang of around 8 older teenagers hanging around. In the past they've shouted things and pretended to jump into the road but on Monday one through a full bottle at me. It hit my bike and caused me to have a bit of a wobble but I rode on.

I called 101 and reported it then gave a statement and the police said they are aware of the gang as there have been reports of them intimidating passers by and throwing stones and fireworks but as yet haven't been able to gather enough evidence to make an arrest or prosecution. When the police arrive the gang just run off and the only descriptions they have are Asian males in dark hoodies.

Anyway as I rode past tonight there were 3 of them there just stood throwing stones at cars so I phoned 101 again with better descriptions and they said they would act.

The police were thankful of my complaint as they say the more they have, the more chance they have of allocating resources to tackle the issue so I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences that could strengthen the case?

Thanks

I'm sure I've read similar complaints before. There is/was a lengthy thread on here about anti-social/threatening/ dangerous behaviour and also I've seen a handful about muggings/attacks in the area and the Rude Shipyard has been mentioned before.

Yes I think this has been going on for some time and I have heard of at least one mugging. There are cameras outside the cafe and I called in yesterday to enquire about looking at the footage but they are nothing to do with them and apparently owned by the council. He said he'd had lots of trouble with the gang hanging around and damaging the cafe.

I mentioned the cameras to the police as they look like proper security ones and look right down on the corner.

This has been going on for years with nothing being done (apart from letters being sent to parents - oh, that'll stop them, they must be quaking in their Nike's). For it to be going on for 8 years, the original perpetrators no longer fit the description so somewhere this behaviour is being passed down the generations to younger siblings, friends whatever.

Chavs and louts are chavs and louts whatever their colour, but perhaps SYP has their hands tied due to senior management not wanting to cause a fuss in the community.. which isn't something as incredulous as it sounds anymore.

Well I was quite positive yesterday after speaking to the police as they reassured me they were tackling it but now I'm feeling pretty flat at its obvious the police aren't getting anywhere at all!

Am I right in thinking The Rude Shipyard is on the left on the corner before Wolseley Road? If so, I had fireworks thrown at my car (and any others that dared to pass) around seven/eight/nine years ago in the very same place. I reported it to 101 (or whatever it was then) as I was quite shaken up. They said they'd send someone... Again, they just run away once police approach.

When I initially phoned the police (as in my first post) I didn't mention skin colour as it's totally irrelevant (other than for descriptive purposes).

Having said that I'd be very disappointed though not that surprised to find out that the police dealt with this community in a different way to any another and held back from taking decisive action so as not to create a race issue.

I think the bottom line though is that the police have very few resources or powers to deal with this sort of anti social behaviour and that's why youths get away with it, no matter where they live or what colour skin they have.

Mod Note:

I am going to request that users refrain from bickering and baiting people into unnecessary arguments .

We also do NOT allow the discussion of vigilantism and all posts encouraging it will be removed.

Thank you.

The Council's solution is to employ two Activity Sheffield coaches at Broadfield Park two evenings a week to provide positive activities for these youths.

Last time I drove past the two coaches were stoic by themselves with no one attending the session. Probably because they are throwing stones at passing traffic.

Easy gig that for someone - get paid to run a session nobody attends.

The Council's solution is to employ two Activity Sheffield coaches at Broadfield Park two evenings a week to provide positive activities for these youths.

Last time I drove past the two coaches were stoic by themselves with no one attending the session. Probably because they are throwing stones at passing traffic.

Easy gig that for someone - get paid to run a session nobody attends.

Obviously Activity Sheffield must be then offering the wrong type of activities. Perhaps they should offer hurling, pyrotechnics and geology instead.