Which Sewing Machine?

My partner is after a sewing machine and I'd like to get her one as a surprise.

The problem is, I haven't got a clue what I'm looking at and I'm keen to get something that's a) not cheap and rubbish but also b) not overly complex for a relative beginer.

John Lewis seem to have quite a range within my budget - there's a couple from Singer, one Brother, and a John Lewis own brand which looks to be made by Janome and takes the standard Janome fittings.

Before I go to look, can anyone offer any basic advice?

Features I should look out for?

Any brands you'd recommend, or avoid, out of the above?

It can be quite a personal thing....but the staff in John Lewis are usually great at helping so maybe ask them when you go to look!

If you can't find out what she would want from it - ie, are there any stitches she really wants, or abilities, one fallback option would be either get vouchers and take her to pick, or just take her and tell her the budget, but that's what you're getting, that way she gets the surprise (especially if you plan it well) but also the freedom of choice, and you get the kudos of having the thought!

Without really knowing what budget/models I can't really help any more...

:)

Sewing machine shop on Chesterfield Road, wonderful staff very helpful, would definately recommend.

I've noticed that John Lewis and Hobbycraft have both got price reductions on basic Brother and Singer machines this week. They are both pretty reliable brands. Hope you find something suitable.

I bought a second hand Frister and Rossmann Cub 4 for £20 on eBay. It had hardly been used and was skipping stitches, a correct needle, some WD40 to remove the accumulated gunge and an oiling after it had dried off and it works like new.

These machines were made in Japan have cast frames under the plastic exterior and were sold under the Bernina brand for many years.

It's a bit like the Leica cameras that are actually Panasonics.

Cheers - Jim