Methane gas lamps in sheffield

Where are all the old Victorian sewer gas lamps, there was one just of Lidget lane opposite the grindstone, there could have been one at the top of moorside avenue, next to the Bole Hills, where are the rest

There's a thread about the old gas-lamps that burnt sewer gas somewhere on here.

Off the top of my head, the ones I do remember as being in existence to this day, are:-

Top of Cemetery Road, by the junction with Psalter Lane at the entrance to frog walk,

Junction of Alderson Road and London Road, Highfield., near the Lloyds Chemist.

Junction of Eldon Street and the pedestrian/cycle path that was Broomhall Street, at the rear of the new Tesco on West Street

Plus Brincliffe Edge Road, Ashdell Road and I know there's loads more.

Yes I remember the old thread as well and was suprised at the numbers still dotted around some of which I'd walked past without even noticing.

Bloomin clever these victorians.

Webb sewer lamps used to be at the following locations. Not sure if they’re all still in existence though.

Alderson Rd

Bishopcourt Rd

Brincliffe Edge Rd

Burnaby Cres

Camborne Rd

Eldon St

Frog Walk

Jenkin Rd

Kent Rd

Lancing Rd

Leavygreave Rd

Moor Oaks Rd

Mulehouse Rd

Oakland Rd

Park Lane

Rural Lane

Rushdale Rd

School Rd

Shiregreen Lane

South View Rd

Stewart Rd

Stothard Rd

Toftwood Rd

Westbourne Rd

Worrall Rd

Can we have a sad volunteer to get on his bike and just check if they are still there thanks

I can confirm that the Frog Walk one, the Alderson Road one and the one at the top of Eldon Street are certainly still in existence.

The one on School Rd is still there, though sadly neglected. There is also one at the top of Mulehouse at the Cemetary gates.

Don't think they burnt sewer gas, merely created a draught to ventilate them.

I recall one I think years ago on South Rd at walkley, at a point where the road narrowed, could have been near the doctors surgery before the shops were built at tha bottom of Greenhow St. It was a road sign, a square top with a red cross against a white background. The memory is a bit weak.

Grandville Road outside the Norfolk Park Gates.

Not sure if it's still there.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s07993

It is still there. It was refurbed 3 or 4 years ago. I don't think it was originally a sewer lamp though.