Coroner reports

There are 2 family members on my family tree who committed suicide and there would certainly have been an inquest following the death.

I have been able to find newspaper articles about both incidents but was wondering if anyone knows how I may get copies of the coroners inquest reports. Would the local archives have copies - both incidents happened in Sheffield.

The years in question are 1912 and 1929.

Thanks in anticipation.

The problem might be the dates, it is easy enough to get more recent copies.

When I needed one, I popped into the Medico Legal Centre and the woman on the desk was very helpful. If they do have records that old, he/she will tell you how to word the letter of request and how to properly address the Coroner.

It is very helpful if you have a date of death in all cases, and the full name and address of the person/persons concerned.

It does take a while however, and I was told it is not good form to enquire on progress once a request has been sent.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the information.

I am much obliged.

If they charge a similar fee as for court case transcripts, be ready for a shock. The company who do the transcripts, Cater-Walsh, quoted me c £7,000 !

If they charge a similar fee as for court case transcripts, be ready for a shock. The company who do the transcripts, Cater-Walsh, quoted me c £7,000 !

Not entirely surprising for a long case.

Bearing in mind most people speak at say 150 words per minute, that's 63,000 words potentially in a 1 day trial. That's very, very broad brush of course, but it's an example. Say it's 50k. That's a lot of words to type out.

Remember also that it's not simple audio typing or copy typing. People can type, at speed, at about 50wpm, but it's far from that easy.

If it's audio, which happens, it's likely to be stopping and starting the tape, making sure things are right (you're going to be upset paying that much for it to be wrong) so rewinding, and also remember the barristers, witnesses, Judge etc aren't dictating - they're running a trial. They aren't speaking to be heard by a tape machine, so they may not be clear.

If it's a Court that uses stenographers, you're actually having to translate what the stenographer has typed, as it's not done in standard English. I'd reckon either way you'd get 20wpm out of it.

Now do the maths....if it was a week long trial, I'd think that's fairly understandable as a fee.

Companies, paying that much, maybe, but individuals, say family members being unable to get to court and who wish to know the full details ?

I stand to be corrected, but didn't transcripts used to be either free or obtainable for a sensible fee ( before privatisation of the service )?

I would very much doubt that inquests in 1912 and 1929 had transcripts. When I was giving evidence down Nursery Street in the 60s the Coroner made handwritten notes but not a word-for-word transcript although written statements from witnesses would also be used as a record. Most Inquests were over and done with in an hour in those days. It is only now when lawyers stand to make a fortune that things are stretched out for days. I would be surprised if DAVEN is asked to pay anything more than a nominal fee....but I would also be surprised if the records have survived. Good luck with your endeavour.

Companies, paying that much, maybe, but individuals, say family members being unable to get to court and who wish to know the full details ?

I stand to be corrected, but didn't transcripts used to be either free or obtainable for a sensible fee ( before privatisation of the service )?

Not as long as I've been in law, so that's at least 20 years.