Burglar alarm wiring

We are having issues with our immersion heater so I turned the immersion heater switch off at the fuse box. This also turned the power off to the burglar alarm as it started beeping and the screen said mains power failure. When i flicked the fuse switch back on the alarm stopped beeping. Is is normal to have a burglar alarm on the same circuit as immersion heater? Or is this dangerous?

The immersion heater should be wired to a 3 point plug so you can unplug it .No need to mess with fuse board

The immersion heater should be wired to a 3 point plug so you can unplug it .No need to mess with fuse board

Poor practice to have the immersion heater on plug and socket, FCU is a better solution.

Not dangerous to have the burglar alarm on the same breaker/fuse as the immersion, as long as the cable to the alarm is suitably sized for the breaker/fuse size. Again, poor practice though.

Poor practice to have the immersion heater on plug and socket, FCU is a better solution.

Not dangerous to have the burglar alarm on the same breaker/fuse as the immersion, as long as the cable to the alarm is suitably sized for the breaker/fuse size. Again, poor practice though.

Are you knit picking regarding immersion heater on a 3 point plug. I have had 2 properties just fitted with new fuse boards and they both have plugs on immersion heater certificates came with completion. Shall i get them back :hihi:

I would certainly ask them about it.I have never seen an immersion on a plug, all our rental properties and home are wired through a Fused Connection Unit, FCU.

Go look at the cable to them its nearly impossible to get 2.5mm heat resistant flex into a plug

It's not going against any regulation. It is generally accepted as poor practice, and that is what was said. I researched this about a year ago - found myself on some IET forum, or something, there was consensus from the assembled 'experts'... it's not wrong, it's just not right.

This was the discussion I'd read - from 2007 - but still valid I'd say.

http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=21291

Basically, spider1, you might want to at least consider getting the person back.

Anecdotal - "In my view to use a 13 amp plug and socket to supply a 3KW immersion heater is poor practice, though not specificaly prohibited by any regulation. I have seen a great many 13 amp plugs and sockets that have overheated when used thus. Also 2.5mm heat resisting flex is generally recomended for immersion heaters, such flex can not be neatly and correctly terminated in most 13 amp plugs."

This was the discussion I'd read - from 2007 - but still valid I'd say.

http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=21291

Basically, spider1, you might want to at least consider getting the person back.

Anecdotal - "In my view to use a 13 amp plug and socket to supply a 3KW immersion heater is poor practice, though not specificaly prohibited by any regulation. I have seen a great many 13 amp plugs and sockets that have overheated when used thus. Also 2.5mm heat resisting flex is generally recomended for immersion heaters, such flex can not be neatly and correctly terminated in most 13 amp plugs."

Yes of course you are right hippo as usual now had them sorted [ a new project i am trying out ]:hihi::hihi:

Yes of course you are right hippo as usual now had them sorted [ a new project i am trying out ]:hihi::hihi:

Unsure why it's so funny... but really good that you are remedying it and taking it seriously.

An immersion heater should be connected into a FCU not a plug head.. this is very poor practise and to get a 2.5 mm heat resistant flex into a plug head is a struggle on its own.