Anyone play football for Club 62

Carl is georges son there were 5 Shutt brothers im the youngest George is no longer with us woody is david you're thinking of Dennis who is fish 1948 and st petre

Edited by alba

Carl is georges son there were 5 Shutt brothers im the youngest George is no longer with us woody is david you're thinking of Dennis who is fish 1948 and st petre

Fish is Pete Fisher. I was Club 62's keeper. lived on the Ballifield. I knew George had died. Brian Shirtcliffe used to taxi me to the airport on my business travels. Many happy hours spent remeniscing about football.

Sorry fish don't know you by name I may know you by sight .Big s also took us to airport I knew Brian a long time I went to school with his daughters Anita/Angela he used to come to my mothers a lot has did tiger billy mansell Tommy Nolan John & Bob batty great times I used to go on rec on Saturdays to watch as a kid as I got older I played when they were short can you remember the Boxing Day games

Edited by alba

club62 used to play in powder blue with claret stripe/numbers on shorts

Still in touch wth Malc Verity,Neil Shepherd,Mick Wright and John Bingham who lives in Canada,good memories.

Club62 played in powder blue with claret numbers on shorts

Club62 played in powder blue with claret numbers on shorts

This strip arrived around 1963/64 courtesy of the new manager Joe Lewis and his son Mick. Original strip was dark blue body and white sleeves if memory serves me correctly.

Who is thecliffe ?

Pete Fisher

Hi Pete,just wondering if you have any photos of the team,used to have one but lost along the way.

Hi Pete,just wondering if you have any photos of the team,used to have one but lost along the way.

I had one and probably around somewhere. I will have a rummage and let you know.

Pete

Hi Slotter....Hi Pete....

I have a photo of us all as the under 18s winners somewhere kicking

About. Will try to dig it out and put it on this forum for you.

Hi all,

I was introduced to Club 62 through a player from Hurlfield School football team.

I played football with Jimmy Hinch and Mick Viney for Hurlfield School. We were asked by Joe Lewis if we would play for Club 62 down at Woodhouse Mill. The club was trying to recruit players to strengthen the squad who were at the time suffering in the league (can't remember which league though, it's 50 years ago!)

I recall some of the team lived locally to Woodhouse and played for Beaver Hill, Brook and Norfolk school teams. We knew some of these players from school fixtures, Pheno, Vets, Shep, Fishy etc.

Joe was originally from the Midlands, (I think he may have been a Wolves scout?) and he wanted to help Club 62 who were struggling for a manager.

Joe provided a new strip and organised training sessions with his son Mick and after a couple of years we were becoming competitive, we managed to get to the final of the cup, I think that was 1965?

We were to play Sheffield United's youth or intermediates team, at Swallowness F.C.'s ground. Unfortunately just before the final Joe passed away and his son Mick took over management of the club for the final - a very touching situation. Ironically, United were one of the clubs complaining about the competitiveness, or lack of, within the league.

We won the final 4-1, a great tribute to Joe, with Dave Franklin scoring 1 and me a hat trick. Afterwards there was a club dinner and presentation at a pub in Handsworth? (see photos)

Shortly after I graduated from art college in Chesterfield and moved to Lytham St. Anne's near Blackpool to start a print & design business that I ran until retirement 5 years ago. They were great times. I had fleeting associations with Blackpool F.C., Sheffield United, Wrexham and Bangor City (Wales) but Club 62 was right up there in my memories.

As far as my memory serves me, the team I remember was: Fishy (Ernest Booth as his stand in), Alf Lambert, Bill Bingham, Geoff Young (yes, Big Hammer), John Phoenix, Keith white, Malc Verity, Jimmy Hinch, Niel Shepherd, Dave Franklin and Stuart Reval, Robert Gooney, Mick Wright and of course the originator of this thread Pete Carr. Club colours at this time were sky blue, red numbers on shorts and shirts and two red hoops on the sock tops.

After moving over the Pennines I played for Blackpool Rangers and Squires Gate in the West Lancs League until I retired around 40, then I came out of retirement to take over as player / manager for my local village side, Wrea Green, in the Preston Sunday league. My last game was at the tender age of 52, no wonder I'm limping around the golf course these days!

I've attached a couple of pictures I found recently from the presentation dinner after we beat Sheffield United, a bitter-sweet victory for me, being a lifelong Blades supporter!

Regards to any of you reading (this rather long post) and well done Slotter for letting me jog down memory lane!

38832552195_d54f5128e8_b.jpg

25858988308_441f466e3c_b.jpg

39730858101_0cb6078867_b.jpg

24861405457_de3f94e417_b.jpg

39730869591_e31fb6f6d8_b.jpg

Edited by Whitey48

Hi mate,thanks for the photos brings back some great memories and good to catch up on what happened to you.Still in touch with a few of the lads still in the area,only thinking about the team the other day as they are demolishing Woodhouse Mill WMC where we used to change,all in the name of progress.Seem to remember Ernest Booth had a spell at centre forward and scored a hatful,think we all remember the lads from any team sport we played,special times.