George Osborne new editor of Evening Standard

Considering the propensity of most is not to let others tell you what you can do and to aim high and do what you want in this world, its very odd how lots of people are banding together to tell Osborne he shouldnt be taking this role.

If he thinks he can manage the responsibility, let him do it and give him the benefit of the doubt. If and only if he fails to fulfil his role as MP for Tatton, can the people of Tatton tell him he is wrong. They have the opportunity to deselect him as their Conservative candidate or they can vote him out of his seat.

While I vaguely agree with the idea of voting him out, we all know that most MPs are elected because of the party they represent and not because of who they are. There are hardly an independent MPs that have won an election, Googling it shows the last one was in the 70s. The only valid comparison I can think of in recent times would be Douglas Carswell who kept his seat (just) after moving from Tory to UKIP showing he must have had popular support although God knows how.

While I vaguely agree with the idea of voting him out, we all know that most MPs are elected because of the party they represent and not because of who they are. There are hardly an independent MPs that have won an election, Googling it shows the last one was in the 70s. The only valid comparison I can think of in recent times would be Douglas Carswell who kept his seat (just) after moving from Tory to UKIP showing he must have had popular support although God knows how.

There was that doctor in Kidderminster in the 90's if I remember correctly and also Martin Bell the ex newscaster..

There are five current MP's at the moment that are independants, and I can remember at least two distinct single issues independants, the most memorable would be Martin Bell for Tatton in the early 2000's.

---------- Post added 27-03-2017 at 13:38 ----------

There was that doctor in Kidderminster in the 90's if I remember correctly and also Martin Bell the ex newscaster..

Dr Richard Taylor, Wyre forest until about 2010 I think is who you mean.

Never trust google. Osborn's own seat was occupied by an independent MP in 1997. Martin Bell took the seat from Neil Hamilton.

There are five current MP's at the moment that are independants, and I can remember at least two distinct single issues independants, the most memorable would be Martin Bell for Tatton in the early 2000's.

---------- Post added 27-03-2017 at 13:38 ----------

Dr Richard Taylor, Wyre forest until about 2010 I think is who you mean.

That's the chap...

That's so bizarre, I was thinking there was a journalist who stood and was elected, but then Wikipedia told me lies which I believed....I retract my original point, but still how many MPs have successfully defended their seat after going independent?

Considering the propensity of most is not to let others tell you what you can do and to aim high and do what you want in this world, its very odd how lots of people are banding together to tell Osborne he shouldnt be taking this role.

If he thinks he can manage the responsibility, let him do it and give him the benefit of the doubt. If and only if he fails to fulfil his role as MP for Tatton, can the people of Tatton tell him he is wrong. They have the opportunity to deselect him as their Conservative candidate or they can vote him out of his seat.

The people of Tatton won't ever have that opportunity because the seat will disappear in time for the 2020 GE, it will be merged into a new seat with other areas. Many think that is why Osborne is finding other things to do now, in anticipation of not standing in 2020.