Anyone From Carbrook?

A friend of mine, Stephen/Steven Davis lived on Bold St and was a friend of the people you mentioned too. I'm sure Phil Rogers moved to the Flower estate if memory serves. Steve's family moved to Handsworth and he joined the RE bomb disposal unit when he left school aged 16. Steve had a younger sister, I can't remember her name though. Also from memory, a classmate Doreen Broomhead lived close by (Bold St). What would your name be?

Hi John,

What a silly bugger not leaving my name, must be old age and fragility creeping up on me. I'm Paul Alderson although you might remember me by my nick name Oscar which stuck with me all through my school years. Your memory is serving you well Steve did live on Bold St and joined the army although I think he was a little older, the last time I saw him was in The Hoffbrauhouse he was celebrating with his mam and dad and little sister (I can't remember her name either) as he was heading off to training camp in a couple of days. Have you heard of him since then?

Philip Rodgers did move on to the Flower estate with his mam and brother John. You have me stumped with Doreen Broomhead though I don't think I know that name, unless the the old grey matter is playing tricks on me.

Oscar Alderson! Fantastic, remember you well. Glad you're thriving. I remember Steve being in your social group. I last saw Steve around 6 months after he went to Chepstow for technical training (blowing things up I think). He came home on leave and we had a catch up. Haven't seen him since. I hope he survived the "troubles". He was due to be posted to NI. He's probably a retired Colonel by now.

Hi John,

You last saw him around about the last time me or Philip Rodgers last saw him. Phil and me tried to track Andy down about 12 or 15 years ago but came up with an absolute blank so I hope that you are right and he is a comfortable retired Colonel somewhere and not a sad statistic on some army register.

Hi John,

You last saw him around about the last time me or Philip Rodgers last saw him. Phil and me tried to track Andy down about 12 or 15 years ago but came up with an absolute blank so I hope that you are right and he is a comfortable retired Colonel somewhere and not a sad statistic on some army register.

Hi Paul

Been a while since we last touched base! ! reckon the interest on that pint you owe me must have increased to 2 x pints by now ;-) Last I heard you were down under - Sydney I think. You still there?

I got made redundant xmas 2016 so it may be early retirement for me :-(

Hope you are keeping well. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Only just found out about this forum thread so off to read the rest of it now.

---------- Post added 22-03-2017 at 20:26 ----------

I was in the same year as Kevin Slater, his nickname was Spud, don't know who was the scruffiest kid in the school, him or me.

I remember Kevin too and yes his name was Spud. And the scruffiest kid in school? Well I know who that was... :)

Hi Paul

Been a while since we last touched base! ! reckon the interest on that pint you owe me must have increased to 2 x pints by now ;-) Last I heard you were down under - Sydney I think. You still there?

I got made redundant xmas 2016 so it may be early retirement for me :-(

Hope you are keeping well. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Only just found out about this forum thread so off to read the rest of it now.

---------- Post added 22-03-2017 at 20:26 ----------

I remember Kevin too and yes his name was Spud. And the scruffiest kid in school? Well I know who that was... :)

I'm guessing That's you Phil, yep still down under (never been back there since I got here) Left Sydney a couple of years ago. If you ever fancy claiming the beer I owe you get your arse over here and I'll gladly pay up with interest.

I'm guessing That's you Phil, yep still down under (never been back there since I got here) Left Sydney a couple of years ago. If you ever fancy claiming the beer I owe you get your arse over here and I'll gladly pay up with interest.

Well now! - That might be sooner than you think!!

Really amazing to see that this thread which I started is still going. I thought it had died out. Spent a good hour reading through the posts. Lots of extra memories raised.

I do recall you Trevor Fowler (lovely lad, ginger hair): spent many hours in your company along with Malcolm Jones, Ken Law, Carol Tattershall to name a few.

Susan Smith, we met up in Meadowhall with your Sharon. You’d come over from Scarborough.

Janet Briggs, great to see you on the thread, we all caught chicken pox from you and your Susan. Your mum Mary and my mum Kath were great friends. Used to see your dad at Firth Park but that’s many moons ago. I Remember your Paul being born, I think it was in 1966 the same year as our Brian.

I Met up with Tony Shepherd, Trevor Dance and Janet May about 5 years ago. Had a good afternoon catching up about life at Carbrook.

Thank you everyone for joining in with the memories, I hope you have enjoyed reading and catching up as much as I have.

I've just been reading through all these wonderful emails from 'Carbrook Kids'.....lovely memories that popped back into my head as clear as crystal. I recognised some of the names, I lived in Tinsley and my pals and I would venture into Carbrook to meet up with schoolmates, Mick Willetts, Steven Lockwood, Colin Marriot and others that attended Park House late 60's early 70's.

Many thanks for creating this particular site!

Does anyone remember the playcentre at Carbrook J unior school? 4-6pm weekdays. snooker for the lads, dancing for the girls - teddy bears picnic ring any bells? I can still do that dance. the fortunes "You've got your troubles" was the hit of the day.

the guy who was like Basil Fawlty running the painting room where we painted clowns and gollywogs and won a prize for the best - i remember they were two pieces of paper which had a page of coloured picture which you cut up and then remade the jigsaw type pieces to reform the picture. not much of a description but then again not much of a prize either.

the littlies room where we were given a cork tile, nails, hammer and pieces of wood with holes in the centre where we made pictures from the wooden tiles. all technical stuff , those were the days!

Pop Naylor from Coleridge Rd school ran the centre.

There were outside activities if summer and weather permitting. I remember playing rounders.

did you know a Christine Hall who lived on Carbrook st. she lived near the shop on the bend.

Any one remember the last tram,horse drawn milk floats,white gloved policeman supervising zebra crossing,playing in air raid shelters,First asians attending school,first day at nursery,my coat hook had a beach ball emblem,alleys and castles,

i remember horse drawn milk floats from the co-op on broughton lane . ilived 297 attercliffe common same yard as boldocks wet fish shop 1940 .

Only just found this site. I lived on Berkeley Road and was one of the smiths, my mum was Sandra and dad Tommy. I remember some of the names mentioned, I knocked about with Michael Brooks, John Shaw, Mark Ash, Alan winters, left carbrook in 1971. Be nice to hear from anybody that remembers me. I am not the Alan Smith married to gillian Eccles, he's my uncle. 

Can anyone remember the "Bird in Hand" on Broughton Lane , Attercliffe .

I use to pal about with George Watts  his dad was the landlord .