Toyota Yaris help

I have to say, I have a big 'downer' on engine management lights and others suddenly illuminating. In every scenario I've come across, it's not anything to do with the problem indicated, but to do with the sensor itself or wiring to it. But that's just 'my' experience.

You're right. Code readers are only as good as the person operating them.

I've known people replace the O2 sensors on an exhaust two or three times, but still getting the fault code, and then they've gone on to the change exhaust parts one at a time. Its only when I've gone out and taken a look at the car and found that the wiring to the sensor is damaged.

Thankfully, some better diagnostic equipment can read live data and test the sensors.

I've done some tests with various scanners on my previous car with a known EGR, diesel heater sensor, and glow plug faults and only the marque-specific scanner picked up these fault codes and read the live data to show that the parts were indeed faulty.

And on two occasions I've known a national breakdown firm say that a customer's high pressure fuel pump has failed because that's what the code said, only for it to be an issue with the tank lift pump - one was a blocked filter, the other was weak current to the pump due to an old battery.

Thanks so much for all advice , I've just ordered a combined scanner , code reader with a reset button,

supposed to be delivered tomorrow , all I can hope for is that it reveals something of use :)

I have a confession,, I'm female , and my Husband doesn't know I'm writing this but the car is driving him INSANE, so when this little machine arrives I'm hoping it does the job and tells him where the fault is

Edited by Marshamellow
added more

Thanks so much for all advice , I've just ordered a combined scanner , code reader with a reset button,

supposed to be delivered tomorrow , all I can hope for is that it reveals something of use :)

I have a confession,, I'm female , and my Husband doesn't know I'm writing this but the car is driving him INSANE, so when this little machine arrives I'm hoping it does the job and tells him where the fault is

We like confessions...I'm not sure if my OH bought something like that, I'm pretty sure a hair dryer or something might turn up.

Don't forget to post back on here and let us know the outcome...It's good to know how the story ends. It all helps others maybe in the same boat.

Well in that case wrap it up and when you give it him say happy birthday.

Hahahahaha I've double checked and I'm pretty sure it's not a hair dryer , will keep you posted :)

---------- Post added 30-03-2017 at 21:55 ----------

OH very happy with code reader.

Used it and everything came up good apart from the result for catalytic converter , it said 83% efficiency, checked the code online it said most likely build up of carbon, so he bought a dual action cleaner , put in it yesterday drove around a bit then took car on a long run today , nothing happened but it doesn't say how long it takes for this cleaner to work, but on getting home he put the code reader on again and the 83% was gone and it just said OK, so he disconnected the battery to reset all the sensors the light went off as expected, I took the car out and within 10 minutes the engine light was back on, so he's now wondering if it could be the sensor , he's going to disconnect it tomorrow and see if the light goes off. :) ps- the cleaner has done something because the car is driving like it's got rocket fuel in it :)

Edited by Marshamellow

Could be an o2 sensor. Toyota are notorious for it - mine certainly is. I had the same thing. Took the car into be tested, and they said one of them needed replacing. Had it done, then the light came back on again, and it was exactly the same thing ! Now I just reset the lights when it comes back on..

Could be an o2 sensor. Toyota are notorious for it - mine certainly is. I had the same thing. Took the car into be tested, and they said one of them needed replacing. Had it done, then the light came back on again, and it was exactly the same thing ! Now I just reset the lights when it comes back on..

I'll tell OH

how do you reset the lights?

he's now wondering if it could be the sensor , he's going to disconnect it tomorrow and see if the light goes off. :) ps- the cleaner has done something because the car is driving like it's got rocket fuel in it :)

No, disconnecting will show a permanent fault. You need to check the wiring to the sensor, maybe even the voltage and current.

Cataclean (and their equivalents) work well, lots of garages use them at MOT time if a car fails on emissions.

Just remember, the fault light is coming on for a reason and clearing it is just ignoring a potential issue.

I have the same with my Aygo. Apparently it's just a fault with the sensor itself and it's common with Toyotas.

how do you reset the lights?
Sorry, only just saw this....you can do it easily with the OBD2 scanner.

I went to the dealers with this problem, and they told me that even if they replaced the cat and all the sensors (mine has 4) the light could still come on showing the same fault !

Sorry, only just saw this....you can do it easily with the OBD2 scanner.

I went to the dealers with this problem, and they told me that even if they replaced the cat and all the sensors (mine has 4) the light could still come on showing the same fault !

no worries, thanks for the reply