Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

Hi there, I can give you a bit of a lead re: Dene Marshall from Dene Marshall & the Deputy's. Dene was actually Barry Marshall who went on to play with the LIZARDS & also ended up with the SQUARE CIRCLES I think.

Guys who played with them were Gerry Scanlan, Billy Durrant Phil Squires &there was also Alan Dale as singer of the Squiare Circles.

These two bands were very popular in the late 60's early 70's & good bands too. Would love to hear any news of any of them if anyone has any.

Hi there, I have just come across your thread, Alan Dale was my cousin he went on to be one of the first mobile discos in Sheffield. Unfortunately Alan passed away earlier this year after battling cancer, very sad.

Hi Billam, thanks for making contact. Through the forum I actually got in touch with a few of the guys who played in the Square Circles & we now keep in touch on a regular basis. They also contacted Alan & used to meet up with Alan & his wife occasionally. Alan & I exchanged a few letters & I knew he had been very ill for quite a long time. Three of the Square Circles were at Alan's funeral & I think from what they told me you spoke with them all. I was very sad to hear of his death as they were good times back in the 60's & they are all good guys. I do hope Alan's wife & daughter are OK since his death. It's very hard for the ones left behind isn't it? Alan was a good singer & it's funny because I ALWAYS thought of him when I hear Duke of Earl & we used to laugh about him singing it because, I always used to request it & some times, he was too tired to reach the high notes. I thought it very fitting that they played it at his funeral a lovely touch. Once again thanks for contacting me.

The only bands I remember from the 60s were Joe Loss's, Ted Heath's, Ivy Benson's and Billy Cotton's. Now groups, I remember plenty of them.....

The only bands I remember from the 60s were Joe Loss's, Ted Heath's, Ivy Benson's and Billy Cotton's. Now groups, I remember plenty of them.....

Ah Billy Cotton, I can almost smell the roast beef and Yorkshires and taste the Tizer :clap:

Ah Billy Cotton, I can almost smell the roast beef and Yorkshires and taste the Tizer :clap:

And Alan Breeze !

---------- Post added 24-05-2016 at 21:40 ----------

One group I recall from the early '60s compromised ; Springett, Johnson, Megson, Mc Anearney, Swan, Kay, Wilkinson, Craig , Ellis, Fantham, Finney (First names on request.) Just for fun, how many south Yorkshiremen in there ? I think six.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Hi there, I can give you a bit of a lead re: Dene Marshall from Dene Marshall & the Deputy's. Dene was actually Barry Marshall who went on to play with the LIZARDS & also ended up with the SQUARE CIRCLES I think.

Guys who played with them were Gerry Scanlan, Billy Durrant Phil Squires & there was also Alan Dale as singer of the Squiare Circles.

These two bands were very popular in the late 60's early 70's & good bands too. Would love to hear any news of any of them if anyone has any.

Hi there, I remember Alan and the group playing at his sisters wedding to BroncoLayne. I used to go to Alan's, discos T the Olive Grove and Fleur De Lys at Totley. Always packed, great times.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 17:46 ----------

Hi Billam, thanks for making contact. Through the forum I actually got in touch with a few of the guys who played in the Square Circles & we now keep in touch on a regular basis. They also contacted Alan & used to meet up with Alan & his wife occasionally. Alan & I exchanged a few letters & I knew he had been very ill for quite a long time. Three of the Square Circles were at Alan's funeral & I think from what they told me you spoke with them all. I was very sad to hear of his death as they were good times back in the 60's & they are all good guys. I do hope Alan's wife & daughter are OK since his death. It's very hard for the ones left behind isn't it? Alan was a good singer & it's funny because I ALWAYS thought of him when I hear Duke of Earl & we used to laugh about him singing it because, I always used to request it & some times, he was too tired to reach the high notes. I thought it very fitting that they played it at his funeral a lovely touch. Once again thanks for contacting me.

Hi Janet, sorry I replied to the wrong thread. I remember Alan playing me the Wayne Fontana album, he liked the Game of Love and Too Much Monkey Business. On my birthday he bought me Led Zeppelin, on his I bought him Geno Washington . His mum, my auntie Edna, used to go shopping with my mum every Saturday. Unfortunately I didn't go back to the Millhouses Hotel, I went for a quiet drink with my brothers, I wish I had gone now it would have been so interesting to meet the other band members.

jimmy powell oct42 may 13 2016 jimmy powell one of the great esquire club acts had died at home any memories and stories can be added on the sheffield expats section and i will pass them on to his family thank you

Hi Billam

I am sure there are plenty of Sheffield people who have fond memories of Alan as both a band member of the Square Circles & also as a DJ. As I said, I always think of him when I hear Duke of Earl & thought it lovely that it was played at his funeral. I believe it snowed pretty heavily on the day of his funeral & people were a bit worried about getting home. I am sure you would have enjoyed hearing some of the stories that the other guys talked about after the funeral. They did get together a bit the last couple of years & talk about old times & I know they have many good memories. So sad that those times are gone, but certainly not forgotten.

Just in case some never venture form here, I posted a thread trying to help someone find info.

I'm trying to help someone find any info about a record producer called Nick Walsh.

He made and released a 7” single which was given away / sold during the 1967 Student Rag week in Sheffield.

Details on the label are: The single was recorded by Nick Walsh at the Mojo Club in Sheffield on 29th June 1967 and was released on the Action label and is attributed to Nick Walsh Recordings.

The single featured two songs by The Joe Cocker Blues Band.

Thanks

.............I knew Nick Walsh from my days playing in Frank Whites band in the sixties.He was the recording engineer in a studio just off the "Sheffield Moor",this was Sheffields first recording studio "Unit 19" on the ground floor below the "Penny Farthing" nightclub.We recorded a few tracks there through the night with Nick who was a lovely guy!......remember a track called "Still as the Night" a country number being one of them.Pretty sure Joe Cocker and Dave Berry also recorded there too!

Lost track of him all these years later..........be interesting to hear from anyone who has further info!

Hi Mel Scott's son. I've just emailed you as I've only just read this post, one year later! Tried to return direct message but this system won't let me for spam reasons! Hope you received my email? Does your dad, Mel Scott remember my dad,Roy Pitchford from Blue Harmony Boys, Sheffield? Sadly dad passed away last year after battling cancer. We'd love to hear if Mel/anyone else has any memories they could share with my mum sister and I. Thank you! My direct email is [email protected]

hi, my dad was phil savage !!!!

---------- Post added 26-03-2017 at 18:02 ----------

hi my dad was phil savage who played bass xx:o

My cousin Dickie Hardman founded the The Blue Harmony Boys in the fifties.

His father Jack Hardman was from Sheffield and was musician with a few bands and played in the Lyceum Orchestra.He also played in the Band for Billy Smarts Circus. When the film Cicus of Horrors was made starring Anton Differing, Smarts Cicus was used and Uncle Jack was conducting the Band.

Uncle Jack and Dickie lived on Ecclesall Road near the corner of Thompson Road.

The Blue Blue Harmony Boys spent a lot of time in Germany playing at the large US bases.

The band appeared on Holiday Town parade broadcast from Skegness one summer.With the advent of the group scene in the sixties fashions in music changed and the band broke up,but Dickie was still going Solo in the early eighties.

At that time he was based in Sunderland where he had a small Hotel

[/color]Unfortunately Uncle Dickie is no longer ditto Grandad Jack, the two hotels owned by Grandad and Dickies Sister (side by side) are not owned by the family anymore in fact one of them is now a bar. I remember Grandad Jack standing me on a stool and making me learn the Trumpet at a very early age (which i hated lol) nevertheless i now play the Guitar as does my younger brother so we have kept the music alive to some extent.

Edited by Paul Hardman