LED security lights

I've been really pleased with savings from replacing GU10s around the house, so I was thinking about switching out the security light we have for a LED model. I'd want something similar to this daylight LED, but they say you need a professional to install it. Would it just be exactly the same connections as a halogen, or does is need adapters, etc? :confused:

I've been really pleased with savings from replacing GU10s around the house, so I was thinking about switching out the security light we have for a LED model. I'd want something similar to this daylight LED, but they say you need a professional to install it. Would it just be exactly the same connections as a halogen, or does is need adapters, etc? :confused:

Can you just change bulb in existing unit to led ,but I do know of people who have fitted these sort of units themselves and they have said they were easy and straightforward to fit

I replaced mine with initially one "Zeefo" solar powered light costing £14 off Amazon.

I now have 4 of them around the outside of the house.

No installation or running costs and they work well for my purposes.

Connections are the same.

---------- Post added 14-03-2017 at 11:40 ----------

Can you just change bulb in existing unit to led...

The led type as shown, have no replaceable lamps. If it dies, you replace the whole unit.

Connections are the same.

---------- Post added 14-03-2017 at 11:40 ----------

The led type as shown, have no replaceable lamps. If it dies, you replace the whole unit.

I meant change bulb in the unit the op allready has fitted not the one they have put link to

I meant change bulb in the unit the op allready has fitted not the one they have put link to

The new type aren't exactly 'bulbs'...Not in the conventional sense anyway (changeable/renewable).

I replaced mine outside with new type LED lights (although I did have a problem at first, it was nothing to do with changing bulbs or anything)...

You just buy the new unit (which aren't particularly cheap) with the new units. Basically isolate the power from the old ones, unscrew them from the wall, take the wiring out and wire the new ones in. It's basically like changing a plug.

The new type aren't exactly 'bulbs'...Not in the conventional sense anyway (changeable/renewable).

I replaced mine outside with new type LED lights (although I did have a problem at first, it was nothing to do with changing bulbs or anything)...

You just buy the new unit (which aren't particularly cheap) with the new units. Basically isolate the power from the old ones, unscrew them from the wall, take the wiring out and wire the new ones in. It's basically like changing a plug.

Perhaps I'm not wording this correctly. I used to have the old style security light with pir sensors and these took the 250 watt bulbs .i changed those bulbs to led type bulbs for about £9 each ,that's what I meant when could op just change bulbs that's all ready in the lights they have fitted at the minute ?and keep the original fittings hence no messing about with wires etc ?

Perhaps I'm not wording this correctly. I used to have the old style security light with pir sensors and these took the 250 watt bulbs .i changed those bulbs to led type bulbs for about £9 each ,that's what I meant when could op just change bulbs that's all ready in the lights they have fitted at the minute ?and keep the original fittings hence no messing about with wires etc ?

Oooooh....I had no idea you can get replacement (from old type) LED's....So I'm a bit lost. The two I bought cost £40 each. But they were the whole unit.

Yes, you can replace the old halogen strip bulbs with a modern LED. They are a direct replacement and as easy to fit as the old one.

I have done it on a few instead of replacing the whole unit.

http://www.lyco.co.uk/light-bulbs/led-light-bulbs/led-double-ended-linear.html

Well ya live and learn...:wow: