Anybody seen 'I Daniel Blake?'

Is there a Tory/ UKIP equivalent film maker?

I doubt it - which is a criticism of the funding bodies rather than a reflection on the dearth of talent or otherwise of would-be film makers offering a politically incorrect perspective on events.

For example, there is probably a very good film to be made about the appalling events in Rotherham and in around a dozen other towns in recent years, particularly with regard to the willful blindness of (mainly) Labour politicians, Councils, social services departments, the police and Barnardos. This is a story that needs telling. I would suggest that the film would be 'politically incorrect' because it would need to address the ethnic dimension to the scandal if it remained true to the story

---------- Post added 15-02-2017 at 15:42 ----------

None of that is relevant. Neither funding nor your personal dislike of Ken Loach and his politics takes away from the power of this film.

The power of a sledgehammer. Unfortunately, his films distort and skew reality to the extent that his characters are the equivalent of political placards - cardboard figures in crude morality plays.

Edited by NigelFargate

I doubt it - which is a criticism of the funding bodies rather than a reflection on the dearth of talent or otherwise of would-be film makers offering a politically incorrect perspective on events.

For example, there is probably a very good film to be made about the appalling events in Rotherham and in around a dozen other towns in recent years, particularly with regard to the willful blindness of (mainly) Labour politicians, Councils, social services departments, the police and Barnardos. This is a story that needs telling.

I hope a film is made of those dreadful events which tells the story of what happened / is happening. You won't get any criticism from me.

With regards to your earlier point, I'd like to see evidence of the fact that official funding bodies are withholding funding from right wing film makers

---------- Post added 15-02-2017 at 15:45 ----------

For example, there is probably a very good film to be made about the appalling events in Rotherham and in around a dozen other towns in recent years, particularly with regard to the willful blindness of (mainly) Labour politicians, Councils, social services departments, the police and Barnardos. This is a story that needs telling.

---------- Post added 15-02-2017 at 15:42 ----------

The power of a sledgehammer. Unfortunately, his films distort and skew reality to the extent that his characters are the equivalent of political placards - cardboard figures in crude morality plays.

Yet I find them portrayed as incredibly human and real.

I think it's an brilliant film it's about time people saw how bad disabled people are treated by this evil government.

I think it's an brilliant film it's about time people saw how bad disabled people are treated by this evil government.

I believe it shows how people can fall foul of the benefits system, often those with no real experience of claiming. I was moved by Cathy Come Home when I first saw it. But back then, benefits were not as accessible, and advice centres weren't well known.

Nowadays, anyone having problems with the DWP should make an advice centre like the CAB their first port of call. Unfortunately, Ken Loach didnt include any intervention for Daniel Blake until it was too late.

I believe it shows how people can fall foul of the benefits system, often those with no real experience of claiming. I was moved by Cathy Come Home when I first saw it. But back then, benefits were not as accessible, and advice centres weren't well known.

Nowadays, anyone having problems with the DWP should make an advice centre like the CAB their first port of call. Unfortunately, Ken Loach didnt include any intervention for Daniel Blake until it was too late.

My own daughter who has always worked and who is only twenty years old and very computer literate and intelligent had the misfortune to lose her job recently, she was unemployed for less than a week and took a low paid part time job to see her through until another job she was waiting to start came to fruition, they had her jumping through hoops, by the time the social had finished with her she was an emotional and physical wreck and very much out of pocket, in fact the mistakes they made and the rules they imposed beggared belief.

As an edit, yes, CAB all the way, if it had not been for them she would have been lost amongst it all.

My own daughter who has always worked and who is only twenty years old and very computer literate and intelligent had the misfortune to lose her job recently, she was unemployed for less than a week and took a low paid part time job to see her through until another job she was waiting to start came to fruition, they had her jumping through hoops, by the time the social had finished with her she was an emotional and physical wreck and very much out of pocket, in fact the mistakes they made and the rules they imposed beggared belief.

As an edit, yes, CAB all the way, if it had not been for them she would have been lost amongst it all.

I'm seriously pleased your daughter has found a new job, but the protagonist in the film was over 50 which makes a big difference when trying to find a new job.

And many CABs now have long waiting lists for appointments.

---------- Post added 15-02-2017 at 20:35 ----------

What would you see as similar outcome from this film? Genuine question.

Well I'd like to think it at least raises people's awareness of the real plight of the unemployed, and promotes more understanding.

For too long we have been inundated with endless media articles about 'Benefit Scroungers,' etc, and I've lost count of the number of TV programmes about low-life Welfare Claimants. This was no accident but a concerted effort to demonise the unemployed and undermine the welfare system. "He who controls the media, controls the minds of the masses..." and the public was softened up to accept the poorest and most vulnerable in society as a 'legitimate' target to attack. The unemployed had no voice to fight back.

This film has redressed the balance a little.

Please bear this film in mind when further cuts to disabled people's benefits come in this April, and remember that when you are already struggling to manage on very little, any more pressure can be totally disastrous. I also include the low paid in this who may also find less in their pay packet thanks to changes to tax credits. That is not the fault of the unemployed, but the government's failure to collect the tax that is owed by the super-rich.You might also want to bear it in mind that during this same period the Bankers and Fat Cats who caused the crisis in the first place have become seriously much, much wealthier, but I haven't seen continuous TV coverage about that.

Ultimately I'd like to see films like this change the mindset of ordinary people worse off than themselves and the outcome reflected in the ballot box.

Edited by Anna B

For anyone who's interested, or even just curious,

'I Daniel Blake' is now out on DVD.