Owls Transfer Rumours For Jan 2017

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Sport & Activities > Sheffield Football

Reply To Topic

06-02-2017, 19:27   #421
NERVY-OWL

Total Posts: 11,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futures Red View Post
Arsenal apparently are after George Hirst now.
well hopefully he doesn't just see the pound signs, much better off staying put for a couple of seasons and developing here
06-02-2017, 19:41   #422
Robbie Loving
Fat McLovin

Total Posts: 16,047
Send a message via MSN to Robbie Loving
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVY-OWL View Post
well hopefully he doesn't just see the pound signs, much better off staying put for a couple of seasons and developing here
I'd normally agree with you.... but. Is he going to get the opportunity to develop with the Owls now that they have, what I'd consider, a good striker force?

Also, with the money the chairman has, are youth players going to get a chance or are the Owls going to go the same way as a lot of the PL teams are doing?

I know Palmer has been given a fair few games, but at 25 I'd consider him more of the older generation now.
Wildsmith does get some cup games which is good, but if this is what Hirst is hoping for, you'd imagine a decent youth player would also get this chance with Arsenal as well.
_______
It's just like watching the Blades :)
06-02-2017, 19:47   #423
Hotmale 1954

Total Posts: 2,299
What a great thing it would be if we could bring in a fit, willing, focused McGugan for the next few games. He'd be like a new signing, and a good one. What a waste of talent that lad has been. Goals from Midfield? That's his game.

PS He'd have to learn to work hard and help the defence as well.
I know, it's asking too much.

Last edited by Hotmale 1954; 06-02-2017 at 19:50.
06-02-2017, 19:49   #424
top4718

Total Posts: 7,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmale 1954 View Post
What a great thing it would be if we could bring in a fit, willing, focused McGugan for the next few games. He'd be like a new signing, and a good one. What a waste of talent that lad has been. Goals from Midfield? That's his game.
Too lazy though, he contributed virtually nothing in his last start and is totally out of favour with CC.

---------- Post added 06-02-2017 at 19:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Loving View Post
I'd normally agree with you.... but. Is he going to get the opportunity to develop with the Owls now that they have, what I'd consider, a good striker force?

Also, with the money the chairman has, are youth players going to get a chance or are the Owls going to go the same way as a lot of the PL teams are doing?

I know Palmer has been given a fair few games, but at 25 I'd consider him more of the older generation now.
Wildsmith does get some cup games which is good, but if this is what Hirst is hoping for, you'd imagine a decent youth player would also get this chance with Arsenal as well.
If he's not going to get a chance with us he certainly wont with Arsenal, the calibre they can bring in will be far higher, if he's good enough he'll get his chance with us.
06-02-2017, 19:51   #425
Hotmale 1954

Total Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by top4718 View Post
Too lazy though, he contributed virtually nothing in his last start and is totally out of favour with CC.
I added that very fact whilst you were typing.
08-02-2017, 13:03   #426
Robbie Loving
Fat McLovin

Quote:
If he's not going to get a chance with us he certainly wont with Arsenal, the calibre they can bring in will be far higher, if he's good enough he'll get his chance with us.
Depends how highly Arsenal rate him. He might get more cup appearances than he would at the Owls. But likely to be a similar amount.

He's in a bit of a tricky situation, the Owls have some good forwards and he will see his opportunities limited because of this.
But he is still young and has time on his hands. It may well be worth sending him out to non-league to see how he fairs.
_______
08-02-2017, 13:15   #427
Futures Red

Total Posts: 1,139
Quote:

---------- Post added 06-02-2017 at 19:51 ----------

Maybe he'd develop into an even better player, with better players around him. You become the environment your in.
08-02-2017, 13:30   #428
top4718

Quote:
Depends how highly Arsenal rate him. He might get more cup appearances than he would at the Owls. But likely to be a similar amount.

He's in a bit of a tricky situation, the Owls have some good forwards and he will see his opportunities limited because of this.
But he is still young and has time on his hands. It may well be worth sending him out to non-league to see how he fairs.
He's playing regularly at international and development level, what good would non league do?? The club have said he won't be loaned, it may be another couple of seasons before he makes the breakthrough and if his progression continues he will make the first team.
08-02-2017, 13:34   #429
Futures Red

Quote:
He's playing regularly at international and development level, what good would non league do?? The club have said he won't be loaned, it may be another couple of seasons before he makes the breakthrough and if his progression continues he will make the first team.
Do you think he'd improve if he joined the Chelsea youth set up. The one you played recently?
08-02-2017, 14:39   #430
Robbie Loving
Fat McLovin

Quote:
Would you consider non-league prem to be of a higher standard than the development squad?
_______
08-02-2017, 14:48   #431
top4718

Quote:
Would you consider non-league prem to be of a higher standard than the development squad?
He wont be playing on loan for a non-league side, lets drop it.
08-02-2017, 14:57   #432
kidley

Total Posts: 7,231
i would think his dad would advise him to stop at S6.when Man Utd wanted him (David) he didn't want to go.
_______
Beware of critics who claim to know what you mean better than you do.
08-02-2017, 15:00   #433
top4718

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidley View Post
i would think his dad would advise him to stop at S6.when Man Utd wanted him (David) he didn't want to go.
To be fair I think DH did want to go, who wouldn't but he was an established first team player and would have been first choice at Manchester United, young George is nowhere near that yet.
08-02-2017, 15:04   #434
Futures Red

Quote:
To be fair I think DH did want to go, who wouldn't but he was an established first team player and would have been first choice at Manchester United, young George is nowhere near that yet.
Personally I'd stay at Wednesday. You only have to look at what's happened to other potentially good youth players. I think his dad would positively influence him too. No point in him going.
08-02-2017, 17:42   #435
senwar

Total Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidley View Post
Quote:
Yes he did want to go, and was fuming at first that Francis wouldn't let him go.

It wouldn't surprise me if young George did move - Arsenal would be VERY difficult to turn down
08-02-2017, 20:01   #436
Robbie Loving
Fat McLovin

Quote:
He wont be playing on loan for a non-league side, lets drop it.
Just a simple answer to a simple question would be sufficient.

I don't disagree he won't be leaving.
_______
08-02-2017, 20:14   #437
top4718

Quote:
Originally Posted by senwar View Post
Yes he did want to go, and was fuming at first that Francis wouldn't let him go.

It wouldn't surprise me if young George did move - Arsenal would be VERY difficult to turn down
I think the difference is though mate Hirst Snr was the finished article at the time of Uniteds interest, George would be putting himself among some of the best young players in the country and might not emerge from the pack.
08-02-2017, 20:52   #438
senwar

Total Posts: 656
Quote:
I think the difference is though mate Hirst Snr was the finished article at the time of Uniteds interest, George would be putting himself among some of the best young players in the country and might not emerge from the pack.
Yeah true.

Only thing is Arsenal have a very good record of bringing young ones along. Saying that you don't hear about the (many I expect) that don't make it.

He's very raw though and hopefully he'll grow with us.
Reply To Topic