Best recording software?

Hello I am wanting to know if anyone on here uses any Multitrack recording software for recording a song on a keyboard is there any free that is any good that you can reccomend ?

Thanks Jack!

Cakewalk is good. I paid about 120 quid (IIRC, was a while ago) but it came with the hardware which I needed anyway.

Most of the better free[1] sequencer applications seem to be Linux only. You could try musescore but it's aimed at being an aid to composing rather than a sequencer. You can input notes from MIDI keyboards but it doesn't do real time recording of playing at normal speed. It also only uses normal music scores for notation.

[1] Properly free, not time limited demo versions.

Thanks for the reccomendations! I was looking at audacity with that can you plug the keyboard into the laptop via usb or is it only microphone recording ?

Thanks for the reccomendations! I was looking at audacity with that can you plug the keyboard into the laptop via usb or is it only microphone recording ?

Audacity doesn't support MIDI, it's just for recording from an input, so if you're plugging in via a USB Sound card (and it shows as a recording device on your computer) then it will work, if it's USB MIDI, it won't work, and you need something a bit more in-depth like Reaper, Logic (Mac only), Fruity Loops, Ableton etc...

^^ Best you will get for Windows, for Free imho...

Except that it doesn't seem to be free any longer - a licence costs 60 dollars.

Except that it doesn't seem to be free any longer - a licence costs 60 dollars.

Oh wow.. hmmm....

Just use fl studio