Toilet near kitchen. How many doors needed?

I'm thinking of opening up the downstairs so it'll be open planned. This will mean that a toilet door will be opening up into the kitchen. I've been told by a friend that you need 2 doors between a toilet and a kitchen. Is that true in a domestic setting if the toilet is for occassional use?

Thanks

It was certainly the case some years ago when we lived in a converted flat.

No, you don't need 2 doors any more (it used to be the case but was changed/clarified a few years ago). There must be a basin in the WC though.

But it's rarely an ideal arrangement, so I'd have a good think about it before doing the work.

A friend of mine has just had building regs plans drawn up for an extension which included a downstairs toilet in the kitchen / dining room. On the plans there is only one door, so I don't think you need 2.

Hope this helps. :)

The two doors used to be the case I think but regulations changed for residential buildings. Two doors are necessary in commercial premises I think. I have the one door arrangement in my home, but it is not ideal and I try to discourage the family from pooping in it.

with many years of Building Control experience, I can confirm that you only need one door separating the two. However, if opening up your ground floor to the first floor, you need to take into account means of escape from the first floor in the event of a fire. This will require building regs. If you wish to discuss further or need plans for building regulation submission, you can email me at attollo@sky.com

Thank you for all your responses. That's really helpful. I'm only opening up to a kitchen diner but there will be a door leading into the hall separating it from the stairs etc. so hopefully no need for a firedoor.

This should be fine then if you are not opening the ground floor to the first floor.

Lee

I'm thinking of opening up the downstairs so it'll be open planned. This will mean that a toilet door will be opening up into the kitchen. I've been told by a friend that you need 2 doors between a toilet and a kitchen. Is that true in a domestic setting if the toilet is for occassional use?

Thanks

When we had house modernised by council we had to have small porch built into kitchen as we were not allowed to have toilet opening directly into kitchen. Prior to that toilet was outside, but this was a long time ago. 1976 to be exact - not bsure what applies now because bathroom has now been moved upstairs

The two doors used to be the case I think but regulations changed for residential buildings. Two doors are necessary in commercial premises I think. I have the one door arrangement in my home, but it is not ideal and I try to discourage the family from pooping in it.

So what about in an office building?

Does there have to be a wash basin in council toilets ?. I have a downstairs loo with no hand washing facilities . Thanks