Chinese restaurants in sheffield

Does anyone know the name of the Chinese Restaurant that was in Fitzalan Square in the 50s and 60s. Remember you went down some stairs.

Does anyone know the name of the Chinese Restaurant that was in Fitzalan Square in the 50s and 60s. Remember you went down some stairs.

I remember the Indian one Indus, the only Chinese I knew in in that area was the Gambit on Commercial Street (late 60's early 70's).

I think you may be thinking about the Gambit, but that was around the corner at the top of Commercial Street on the left hand side.

Any one else have any ideas ?

It was originally THE QUEENS restaurant owned and run by the Greek/Cypriot family the Gabrielidis, they used the name Gabriel, George, the son owned and ran the Montgomery Hotel. The Father and Mother returned to Cyprus in the late sixties or late seventies, my wife and myself rented a flat from them on Stafford Rd, they were very nice people. The Queens then opened as The Indus Indian Restaurant, it was never a Chinese's.

Fond memories of the Indus. First Indian restaurant/meal I ever had, never had bhaji's as good since!

It was originally THE QUEENS restaurant owned and run by the Greek/Cypriot family the Gabrielidis, they used the name Gabriel, George, the son owned and ran the Montgomery Hotel. The Father and Mother returned to Cyprus in the late sixties or late seventies, my wife and myself rented a flat from them on Stafford Rd, they were very nice people. The Queens then opened as The Indus Indian Restaurant, it was never a Chinese's.

There was a chinese restaurant in the Square in the sixty's it was next to the Classic Cinema and down some stairs , many people would do a runner from the place and I often saw a couple of Chinese waiters chasing them down to Pond Street.;)

There was a chinese restaurant in the Square in the sixty's it was next to the Classic Cinema and down some stairs , many people would do a runner from the place and I often saw a couple of Chinese waiters chasing them down to Pond Street.;)

yes i can remember it, i was trying to place where it was but youre right it was at the side of the classic

That was the Queens restaurant. I'm sure there was never a Chinese there, there was the Gambit on Commercial St, that was a type of Chinese before it re-located to Psalter Lane.

That was the Queens restaurant. I'm sure there was never a Chinese there, there was the Gambit on Commercial St, that was a type of Chinese before it re-located to Psalter Lane.

Sorry to disagree but it was a Chinese the only one in Sheffield at that time !except that is for the one on Division Street that was used as a night club by certain clientele in the early sixties.

Wasn`t the one by the Classic the original zing va?

Wasn`t the one by the Classic the original zing va?
No - the Zing Vaa has always been at 55 The Moor (where it opened in c. 1957). Sheffield's other early Chinese restaurant was the Rickshaw on the corner of Devonshire Street and Broomhall Street. Directories from the 1960s show the Queen's restaurant next door to (to the left of) the Classic. By 1972 it was the Indus.

I think there was a Chinese restaurant Road n the early 60s.. on London Road just by the junction with Abbeydale rd