PC problem on specific game

what captainwood said.

Your solution above alky I think is a poor one.

Thanks guys (tried to reply earlier but failed for whatever reason!).

I am currently running Win7 and have maxed out my current board at 4 gig ram. Having read your posts guys (many thanks to all of you) I have opted to go for a new MoBo which is able to run my current CPU (Core2 Quad - Socket 775 Kentsfield(?)) but upgrade the RAM to 8 or 16 gig DDR3.

Hopefully this will give me the performance I need for now.

Still looking for the best option of board though - so many appear to be second hand.......

This sounds like a mistake to me. Socket 775 is obsolete, it really doesn't make sense to buy a new S775 board unless you can get it for £15 or something.

Edit - I see you changed your mind already.

You're doing the right thing. S775 is obsolete. Get a new MBrd, if you have to get the cheapest CPU and change it in 3 months time for an i5. At least this way you have an upgrade path for quite some time.

Edited by Cyclone

Just seen this thread do some of you guys play bf4 regularly? I could do with some people to play online with.

Dont waste your time with BF4..... its still not fixed. :hihi:

Havent played it since the umpteenth time it crashed on me. even offline it crashes all the time. I gave up in the end.

Again - many thanks for the help and suggestions all.

I am going to go for an i5 and MoBo + whatever RAM I can aford - minimum4 gig DDR3 but preferably 8 or 16.

I had to be convinced to abandon what has been a great CPU - which still performs well and commands a good s/h value. Perhaps I will ebay the CPU to trade for more RAM!

Stimpy - never had a BF4 crash yet?????? Completed offline on both standard and hard and apart from three seperate issues (over the whole game - fell through a map and failed to reach designated action point) no real problems. Never had an online crash.

OK - just looking for the right bundle now. Many, many thanks to all.

Again - many thanks for the help and suggestions all.

I am going to go for an i5 and MoBo + whatever RAM I can aford - minimum4 gig DDR3 but preferably 8 or 16.

I had to be convinced to abandon what has been a great CPU - which still performs well and commands a good s/h value. Perhaps I will ebay the CPU to trade for more RAM!

Stimpy - never had a BF4 crash yet?????? Completed offline on both standard and hard and apart from three seperate issues (over the whole game - fell through a map and failed to reach designated action point) no real problems. Never had an online crash.

OK - just looking for the right bundle now. Many, many thanks to all.

i5 will run it fine. I have:

1 x MSI Z97-G45-GAMING LGA1150 USB3.0 SATA6Gb/s KillerLan OC PCI Express

1 x Asus GF GTX660 DirectCU II OC Edition PCI-E 3.0, 2GB

1 x Intel Core i5 4670K LGA1150 CPU 3.4Ghz 6Mb Cache Haswell

1 x Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 CMY8GX3M2A2133C11R 2133MHz Vengeance Pro Red

and it ran it fine in ultra without any issues. I just could never get a full game out of it. Unfortunately Dice has lost me as a BF customer as the Ps3 version is just as woefull in terms of stability.

when buying the processor make sure you get the k version. this means its unlocked and can be O/c'd

Edited by stimpy

Overclocking isn't for everyone and generally for gaming unless your application is cpu bound such as mmo's or strategy games then the locked version will be fine.

If you do decide to OC then I would suggest read, read and read some more before attempting, you could have some fried hardware on your hands otherwise.

It's quite difficult to damage the modern, overclockable processors, they will shutdown before they get too hot.

Ramping up the voltage might be enough to damage them, but even then I'm not sure.

Unless you're benchmarking and wanting to squeeze that extra 3/4 FPS from games overclocking isn't really worth it with modern CPU's imho....

I have got an almost identical set up as "stimpy" except I have a gtx 680 4gb, overclocking east as the Moho has a overclock for dummies button just press it and woo hoo 4.2g I would recommend reading up as much as possible as a common mistake is people think they are getting mega overclocks but letting the voltage self adjust so end up with way too many bolts going through cpu. A good way is to actually stay at stock clocks and start by under volting then turning up clock.

I am in no way that experienced but I don't mind playing about and just done a lot of reading, anyway it's free performance after all, just need good cooling.

Just my 2 cents

I have got an almost identical set up as "stimpy" except I have a gtx 680 4gb, overclocking east as the Moho has a overclock for dummies button just press it and woo hoo 4.2g I would recommend reading up as much as possible as a common mistake is people think they are getting mega overclocks but letting the voltage self adjust so end up with way too many bolts going through cpu. A good way is to actually stay at stock clocks and start by under volting then turning up clock.

I am in no way that experienced but I don't mind playing about and just done a lot of reading, anyway it's free performance after all, just need good cooling.

Just my 2 cents

It's not free performance, as overclocked components usually draw more power than a normal none over-clocked (at the same speed) - so your energy bill will cost more!

haha.... yup, I love the over clocking button. I used to do a fair bit of clocking on my old dual core and then moved onto ram.... but killed a stick doing that :hihi:

With most modern Ram now having XMP profiles built in its another very easy way of maximising performance from the hardware without any knowledge.