Why are we building so many new memorials to old wars?

This was in the news today because of the flyby of the two remaining Lancaster bombers and a Vulcan. I would have loved to see the planes, but why have we been building so many new memorials to old wars in recent years? It seems like a new one opens every year in some kind of collective national insanity. I can't think of any other country which is doing the same.

http://www.lincsbombercommandmemorial.com/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28890025

Celebrating or commemorating old wars pave the way in the public psyche' for new ones. Making people feel patriotic for past glories gets them ready for ones we have to come. There are a few on the horizon we will no dout be building statues to in years to come.

The best memorial we could have is to have NO MORE wars.

The best memorial we could have is to have NO MORE wars.

Good luck with that then:hihi:

Because we should never let the heroes who fought and died for our freedom ever be forgotten

I'd agree with that, but why so many new memorials in recent years?

It seems there's a hole or gap in our national psyche that needs filling.

WW2 was/is a pretty simple concept. Nazis and Japanese bad, us, America and the soviets good. They all wore uniforms apart from the resistance and they were French. We were directly attacked - bombed repeatedly. We had thousands of our young men fighting and dying to protect us from a direct, tangible threat. It's difficult not to get behind that. And we won, it was a clear result. A bit more complicated than that really but that's the drift of it.

Fast forward to gulf war 2 and Everyman and his dog knew saddam didn't have WMDs and we're now bombing religious nutters who we were selling arms to 6 months ago. To top that we have young British citizens bombing british citizens and young soldiers are being decapitated by other young Britons on the street, all over wars that are miles away and there isn't a really clear reason why we are there. I'm yet to be convinced Afghanistan is any better than it was in 2001 and it's cost a lot of British lives, limbs and money.

WW2 is positively romantic compared with that lot.

This was in the news today because of the flyby of the two remaining Lancaster bombers and a Vulcan. I would have loved to see the planes, but why have we been building so many new memorials to old wars in recent years? It seems like a new one opens every year in some kind of collective national insanity. I can't think of any other country which is doing the same.

http://www.lincsbombercommandmemorial.com/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28890025

100 year anniversary of WWI, along with fewer and fewer remaining who were alive in WWII.

As for new memorials 'every other year' - that's nonsense you made up.

And other countries DO have memorials - you just don't hear about them - why would you?

How many new memorials have been created?

It's because the last of our veterans are sadly passing away and we want to have a last connection before it goes.

The first hand recollection of a mass participation conflict will also pass and we will forget the individual contributions.

There was a 'Great War' before WW1 but who remembers that now.

Celebrating or commemorating old wars pave the way in the public psyche' for new ones. Making people feel patriotic for past glories gets them ready for ones we have to come. There are a few on the horizon we will no dout be building statues to in years to come.

That would be true if the government were paying for these memorials but you will find they are paid for by charities and private donations.

When there is little to celebrate in the present and people are fearful of the future, the past is the last refuge.