Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

I had a boiler fitted on the government scheme, and it was under warranty for 2 years so there should be no problem in getting it fixed.

I had a boiler fitted on the government scheme, and it was under warranty for 2 years so there should be no problem in getting it fixed.

Agree knowone seems to want to be in charge of the systemkept checking on the net

I had a boiler fitted under a government scheme in September. last month I had a problem with the pump and it was changed but was told. When the new boiler was fitted the system should have been flushed. Told by the firm that it is common practice to put a fluid in the system pump it through then drain. Which should be done am I being told by the firm that fitted it correctly or are the other company looking to make money. As I am told by them that it could block the central heating radiators and burst them.

The installer must ensure the system is adequately cleansed to validate any warranty, sometimes chemical cleanse may be adequate but in systems with significant sludge then a 'power-flush' is essential. If the pump has failed on a new install then it almost certainly means the system WAS NOT adequately cleansed. Insist the original installers return and power-flush the system.....the boiler may already have suffered and any manufacturer will certainly invalidate any warranty if they visit and find a new boiler installed on a dirty system

The installer must ensure the system is adequately cleansed to validate any warranty, sometimes chemical cleanse may be adequate but in systems with significant sludge then a 'power-flush' is essential. If the pump has failed on a new install then it almost certainly means the system WAS NOT adequately cleansed. Insist the original installers return and power-flush the system.....the boiler may already have suffered and any manufacturer will certainly invalidate any warranty if they visit and find a new boiler installed on a dirty system

Thanks

How do I make them power flush if they refuse?

Thanks

First give them the opportunity to perform the flush, if they refuse then inform them you will get the boiler manufacturer to assess the install....if they say system is not adequately clean and therefore invalidate warranty then go to trading standards

Mod Note

Threads merged.

Please use the search facility before posting new threads

Thanks

Thanks

Good Luck getting them back, most of the middle men who handled the money took all the profit from the jobs, they have sent many smaller installer under by under payment!, If you know who provided your funding write to them as they should have given you a 3 year warranty under pas 20/30.

Good luck

Mike

Met Gas Plumber Sheffield

I wonder if anyone has any idea what could be wrong with our central heating system? We have an Alpha cd25x/28x combination boiler which drives 8 radiators, not that we ever have them on all at once. Sometimes a radiator comes up to full heat but increasingly the radiators will only get warm, even though the room is well below temperature. This can happen even if only 1 radiator is on. On Thursday we put the front room radiators on at 10 am and by 6 pm the temperature was still only 61 degrees F. The boiler pressure is o'k. Hot water runs o'k. Any help appreciated.

Hello to all, and many thank's to everyone who has replied to this. I am pleased to say that the problem has now been cured, although the solution surprised me. We had the Alpha engineer out again and as a last resort he replaced the siemans controller with a Alpha one and to our amazement that cured it. As I say,thank you to all for the help.

Hi - I wonder if anyone can advise on this. I have a Worcester Heatslave boiler which is at least 20 years old and it has packed in. It is trying to fire up but not making it and an engineer who has looked at it has said it is the motherboard. Because of its age - there are no parts available so he has suggested that a new boiler should be fitted. However I am in the process of decluttering before selling up and only expect to be in the house for another year tops. I am guessing that the new owners will want to put in a new central heating system - so I am wondering if it is not possible to fit a secondhand motherboard rather than the hassle of a new boiler. Is this a goer? Otherwise I think I will have to depend on fan heaters through the winter and no hot water!

Hi - I wonder if anyone can advise on this. I have a Worcester Heatslave boiler which is at least 20 years old and it has packed in. It is trying to fire up but not making it and an engineer who has looked at it has said it is the motherboard. Because of its age - there are no parts available so he has suggested that a new boiler should be fitted. However I am in the process of decluttering before selling up and only expect to be in the house for another year tops. I am guessing that the new owners will want to put in a new central heating system - so I am wondering if it is not possible to fit a secondhand motherboard rather than the hassle of a new boiler. Is this a goer? Otherwise I think I will have to depend on fan heaters through the winter and no hot water!

Yes you can fit a 2nd hand pcb but there is no guarantee with them so need to be 100% correct on diagnosis as there not cheap.

Regards Jonathan

Yes you can fit a 2nd hand pcb but there is no guarantee with them so need to be 100% correct on diagnosis as there not cheap.

Regards Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan - I guess I need to get a 2nd opinion then. Is this the sort of thing that you do or can you suggest someone else that might help me?

Cheers

Steve

Moved in to a house other day and no matter what temp i set the salus thermostat to the boiler stays on?! Replaced batteries in it and turned all the settings to 10°c and still the boiler keeps kicking up...any ideas?