Grooming an adult GSD - what to get?

We hope to get our rescue GSD soon and have sorted all the major items but the grooming side is confusing us

The RSPCA suggested a "rake" but we arent sure what else we need

suggestions please

We hope to get our rescue GSD soon and have sorted all the major items but the grooming side is confusing us

The RSPCA suggested a "rake" but we arent sure what else we need

suggestions please

Terri at HardwickHounds advised us what to get. We had two short and one long haired older GSD that Terri used to bath and groom for us. We now have two younger shepherds which are about to use their new 'DIY' dog bath. With the grooming tool Terri advised us to get my husband is able to keep their coats in shape (if the daft dogs will stand still). :roll: Ask Hardwick Hounds

A furminator and a wire type brush with rounded ends and a bristle brush on the other side is all I ever needed.

A slicker brush is a must! Then ideally a comb. And a moult master/furminator for short coats for occasional use.

To brush, start at the back and lift the coat, then gently use the slicker to sweep the coat from.under your hand. That will ensure you reach the base of.the coat instead of brushing the top coat.

thanks folks - seems an obvious question but its a long time since we had a dog and back then it was a comb and a slicker

fwiw the dog is long haired, we plan to get:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FURminator-2013--Shedding-Tool-Large/dp/B004WJ0IPM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1466315202&sr=1-2&keywords=furminator

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Groom-Professional-Curved-Slicker-Medium/dp/B0090X59RM/ref=zg_bs_471404031_1

and a double sided comb

The RSPCA have also suggested a rake, though I am unclear if this is better then a furminator style - guess we will have to try them with our dog

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferplast-5872-Rake-Rotating-Teeth/dp/B001N00KME/ref=sr_1_16?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1466315480&sr=1-16

Honestly, I've never understood the point of a rake. If you're using a slicker and a comb you definitely wont need a rake and will achieve better results.

If its long haired I'd not bother with a furminator. You'd be better with a wide toothed mars coat king instead to rake out the dead hair. You use it after the slicker or it make break the coat or cut it.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 08:27 ----------

There are other brands but mars were the originals.

http://www.groomers-online.com/groomers-and-animal-professionals-c1/grooming-c21/tools-c27/coat-kings-c227/mars-8-blade-coat-king-p300

I also use a furminator but I don't recommend it for heavy grooming, 1 brush down a day mine get x

I have a long haired shep girl and I am also a groomer. Don't use a furminator or a coat king. These both cut the hair and will spoil the coat. You need to get the undercoat out and for that you need an undercoat rake. You can buy them cheaply at Pets at Home or at Groomers Online. This and a slicker brush are all you should need and a weekly groom. Most of the hair gathers around the neck and at the back end/base of tail.

And pay attention to the base of the of the ears as fondling the dog can cause knots to build up here. When I got my rescue girl a few weeks ago she had huge dreadlocks hanging off her ears!

Good luck with your new dog. You couldn't pick a better breed than GSD - they are so intelligent, loyal and easily trained. I love them.

We had two short hair and one long haired GSDs and the furminator was fine. Ours were outside dogs so had very thick coats. Occasionally we had Terri (Hardwick Hounds) bath and groom the dogs if they blew their coats quickly and it was difficult to keep all three coats brushed enough to be in good condition.

Edit - at the moment ours are moulting so get brushed daily.

If you take a coat king through sand or grit it will dull the blades so they won't break the coat. They work nicely through dense double coats. Better to use tools that make grooming a little easier than having a matted double coat IMO. If the do isn't going to enter the show ring, coat kings are just fine but everyone finds which tools they prefer to use :)