Badgers in Sheffield 10

I have known for nearly a year that badgers live in our garden.

They started with the lawn – holes in the lawn, about the circumference and depth of a yoghurt pot.

Then in Summer I discovered three large holes in a hidden corner of the garden that must be the sett.

I have just seen my first live badger at 9:30 in the evening walking across the lawn, fully floodlit.

I think its amazing - I know some of you will not!

Guest sibon
I have known for nearly a year that badgers live in our garden.

They started with the lawn – holes in the lawn, about the circumference and depth of a yoghurt pot.

Then in Summer I discovered three large holes in a hidden corner of the garden that must be the sett.

I have just seen my first live badger at 9:30 in the evening walking across the lawn, fully floodlit.

I think its amazing - I know some of you will not!

There are quite a lot of urban badgers around here. I've seen more badgers in S10 and 11 than I ever did when I lived in rural Notts. They are fantastic creatures, but big!

My mum and dad have badger in there garden. My dad feeds him peanuts in the cat bowl. He comes and sits at my dads door at night. They also have a fox and a mouse that come to the same bowl everynight. I think it's great.

I don't have a badger but I have a Hedgehog in my garden. Sound silly but I am so proud of that.

Everybody likes hedgehogs!

We have loads of foxes - I used to like them, but not any more (apart from in early spring when for the last three years we see the young cubs playing on the lawn from a very early age.)

Mice are as horrid as rats and apparently carry as many germs!

There's one where i live near a small block of flats, they come out quite a lot at night ! they can be quite tame. The one i saw scared me more than i scared it !

It is amazing, I'm madly envious! I've never seen a live badger but would love to. Seen plenty of squished ones on the roads though :(

It is amazing, I'm madly envious! I've never seen a live badger but would love to. Seen plenty of squished ones on the roads though :(

I have only ever seen one. I saw him before my dad did and he refused to believe me. he actually pulled a sulky boy face and said he was jealous. It was well funny. He didn't believe me until about a year later when he saw it sat at his door and then rang me at half ten at night giddy as owt.

I had one in my garden here in S10. We had friends staying at the time and we all stood there, completely astounded, watching it through the patio doors. We've seen them crossing the roads around here a few times.

We had a badger trying to get through our garden gate in the early hours this summer. It woke us up as it was too fat to get through and it was ramming it tring to open it!! Very strange but it's the first live badger I've seen around here (S35)

A couple of years ago we had our rockery, (newly planted!) torn apart twice by a badger trying to dig out the bumblebee nest in it. Then this summer a neighbour put in hours of work turning a piece of unused ground into a beautiful turfed play area. They then went on holiday and came back to find it like a ploughed field. Badgers again!

Still, it's nice to have them around!

Shouldn't we be careful about revealing the areas?

Granma.