Alcohol content reduced on Tesco brand beers

I often buy Tesco own brand beer , it is comparable with Carling and until today was the same strength 4% , today I went in and it has been re-branded and the strength has been reduced to 3.8% , now this won`t make a lot of difference to the consumer , drink wise , but the price has stayed the same . Tesco and the brewer they use pay duty on the alcohol content of their beers ( and /or other products ) , so Tesco are making a very big saving in tax payments but are not passing it on to customers , this has also happened with Stella Artois and Carlesberg Export ( 5% to 4.8% ) , non of these companies have informed their customers this was going to happen , or why , we know why , to save them money , but , they should be honest and admit it .

Profits and honesty too often these days don't sit together.

Yes, it does make you wonder how they are cutting other production costs too, in order to maximise profit.

EDIT - better be careful! Not sure whether we're allowed to say anything against Tesco any more.

It seems people are already using the best form of protest, anyway.

Edited by Mr Bloom

Profits and honesty too often these days don't sit together.

Yes, it does make you wonder how they are cutting other production costs too, in order to maximise profit.

EDIT - better be careful! Not sure whether we're allowed to say anything against Tesco any more.

It seems people are already using the best form of protest, anyway.

At what time did capitalism breed honesty? You can say whatever you like about Tesco, we are consumers entitled to opinions.

They have been honest about it, you at least saw the change.

What more were you expecting, an advertising campaign to inform the public about a fractional reduction in the alcohol content of tesco brand lager?

The abv of Gold Lable has gone down so much it just isn't the same thing anymore.

Whilst I'm a real ale man, from time to time in the summer I used to buy the odd case of Stella.

One night I poured myself a Stella and it just didn't taste the same anymore. When I looked at the bottle, the strength had been reduced from 5.2% to 5.0%......I've never had a Stella since, because it's not as nice.

The same thing has happened with a few of the beers I buy from time to time. As soon as Ruddles County dropped from 4.7% to 4.3%, I've stopped buying it.

Caffreys these days tastes bland, whereas once upon a time it was quite a nice creamy beer.

The percentage drops may only be small, but the taste difference in most cases is noticeable.

Regards

Doom

I'm not certain if Tesco use Cains but a number of supermarkets used Cains beer and brewey in Liverpool for their own brand beers.

Cains went into administration some time ago, so supermarkets had to source another brewer. So its possible the branding is the same but the beer and its strength are now different.

I often buy Tesco own brand beer , it is comparable with Carling and until today was the same strength 4% , today I went in and it has been re-branded and the strength has been reduced to 3.8% , now this won`t make a lot of difference to the consumer , drink wise , but the price has stayed the same . Tesco and the brewer they use pay duty on the alcohol content of their beers ( and /or other products ) , so Tesco are making a very big saving in tax payments but are not passing it on to customers , this has also happened with Stella Artois and Carlesberg Export ( 5% to 4.8% ) , non of these companies have informed their customers this was going to happen , or why , we know why , to save them money , but , they should be honest and admit it .

Tesco, trying to save on taxes?! Why doesn't that surprise me?

I sometimes buy Tesco premium lager that is 4.8% and 2.1 units (440ml size can). It is the same strength as Stella, and it tastes alright. Unusual coloured can-mainly grey, with a black band around the base. £3 for 4 pack.. I can recommend it.

Whilst I'm a real ale man, from time to time in the summer I used to buy the odd case of Stella.

One night I poured myself a Stella and it just didn't taste the same anymore. When I looked at the bottle, the strength had been reduced from 5.2% to 5.0%......I've never had a Stella since, because it's not as nice.

The same thing has happened with a few of the beers I buy from time to time. As soon as Ruddles County dropped from 4.7% to 4.3%, I've stopped buying it.

Caffreys these days tastes bland, whereas once upon a time it was quite a nice creamy beer.

The percentage drops may only be small, but the taste difference in most cases is noticeable.

Regards

Doom

I've spotted it too on things like Bombadier. These drops in strength aren't insignificant. A drop from 4% to 3.8% is more than a 5% reduction. It's equivalent to a landlord dropping 2 gallons of water into a barrel of beer. Customers vote with their feet.

I just bought some bottles of Red Label Bass from ASDA. Still at the 4.4% they have always been and £1.00 for a 500ml bottle. I'll drink that until they start running water into it.

It has been happening for ages and it is due to the racist economic prohibition of alcohol.