Good ethics for large companies

Ikea gives more cash than Spain for ebola fight.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/ikea-gives-more-cash-than-spain-for-ebola-fight-30677037.html

If my local stores had the same ethical policies as Ikea, I would be more likely to shop there.

How can we make more businesses have such good ethics? Surely this would be better than large companies avoiding tax and paying low wages.

Businesses are not there for ethics. They are there to make a profit.

What they do with their profits afterwards is reliant on how much profit they make and how the people who own it want to spend it.

many businesses view corporate responsibility as an essental business requirement nowadays and activities are wide ranging - you can usually find this type information on their 'investor' site

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/ikea-gives-more-cash-than-spain-for-ebola-fight-30677037.html

If my local stores had the same ethical policies as Ikea, I would be more likely to shop there.

How can we make more businesses have such good ethics? Surely this would be better than large companies avoiding tax and paying low wages.

Perhaps the newspapers could publish a guide on the most responsible employers / companies. Public pressure seemed to work in the case of Starbucks

Ikia is one of the companies named in the tax avoidance scandal and charitable donations are also tax deductible so they will pay even less tax than they otherwise would.

Ikia is one of the companies named in the tax avoidance scandal and charitable donations are also tax deductible so they will pay even less tax than they otherwise would.

Not you have spoilt my rosey view of Ikea, but it eems that the UK does very poorly in ethical companies.

Only 3 in the worlds top 100, Premier Farnell, Northumbrian Water and M&S

Not you have spoilt my rosey view of Ikea, but it eems that the UK does very poorly in ethical companies.

Only 3 in the worlds top 100, Premier Farnell, Northumbrian Water and M&S

I'm not sure we have that many huge corporates that aren't owned, at least in part, by foreigners. We have arms companies, big pharma and companies like Vodafone who I'm sure knock down their grannies house if they could save a few quid somewhere. Oh and tesco sainsburys and some banks.

Makes you proud doesn't it. I don't doubt a lot of smaller companies have done a bit though.

Banks and MPs are getting training on how to con people, or as they call it, building public confidence

In that case I am pleased I have never done business with Ikea. It's just the same when a supermarket gives money to a charity. Am I supposed to be pleased if I shop there, that they have taken money off me by overcharging me and then giving it away? It's even worse when they get tax relief on it, because then, people who may be struggling on low incomes are having to pay more tax to make up the difference. If you want to give money, then no problem, as long as it's given voluntarily.

Isn't giving to charity one of the ways they use to dodge taxes???

Businesses are not there for ethics. They are there to make a profit.

why shouldn't they be there for both?

the great Quaker industrialists of the 19th century managed to do both very effectively