I hate being ripped off with the cost of razor blades. Do you?

Does the price of razor blades (dedicated to certain types of razors) annoy you?

According to an article I found on line (Admittedly it's a couple of years old), the actual cost of each blade is something like 10p.

They sell them to Joe-Public at anything up to a tenner or more for a pack of 4 or 5 (it varies). That's an obscene amount of profit for something that costs so little to make. Yes of course they 'have' to make a profit of some sort, but come on!!!

The supermarkets and shops have to electronically 'tag' them or store them in a locked cupboard to prevent theft! Not because they're particularly valuable (in terms of cost to make), but because they charge so much for them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136440/The-great-razor-rip-Prices-blades-soar-99-just-years.html

In 2014 P&G did $83.1 billion dollars in sales. Who are you or I to hate on capitalism of that magnitude. Simply stupendous. And to think William and James started their little company in 1837. Be happy great men have gone before you making it possible to purchase such wonderful razor blades.

Went electric years ago for this very reason.

Well I've got an electric too...But it's just not the same as a wet razor...(for me)...I'll use the electric if 'say' I've shaved in the morning, and I'm going out on the evening...But other than that, it has to be a wet razor for me.

In 2014 P&G did $83.1 billion dollars in sales. Who are you or I to hate on capitalism of that magnitude. Simply stupendous. And to think William and James started their little company in 1837. Be happy great men have gone before you making it possible to purchase such wonderful razor blades.

Translation required!.........................

Get a decent cutthroat razor and a strop. You won't need to buy another blade for the rest of your life.

Translation required!.........................

Proctor and Gamble own Gillette.

Get a decent cutthroat razor and a strop. You won't need to buy another blade for the rest of your life.

Good grief no!...I do have a strop every now and then, but I think that's something else ;)

I was thinking this the other day.

It's a couple of sharp bits of metal contained in a piece of plastic, why is it so god damn expensive??

I was quite happy using the Morissons triple blade razor for a while, but I can't find the replacement blades anymore :(

It's a couple of sharp bits of metal contained in a piece of plastic, why is it so god damn expensive??

why not make your own if they are that simple to put together?

Proctor and Gamble own Gillette.

Thank you..Yes I'm aware of that little gem of knowledge :)

The phrase you used didn't make an awful lot of sense:

Who are you or I to hate on capitalism of that magnitude

That's the bit that threw me somewhat!

Good grief no!...I do have a strop every now and then, but I think that's something else ;)

Now then now, calm down :-)

Have you ever tried a proper straight razor? Tricky to use but if you prefer a wet shave over electric you will certainly prefer a straight over wet....

Just dont have the tip of your ears off whilst practicing.

I was quite happy using the Morissons triple blade razor for a while, but I can't find the replacement blades anymore :(

That's the point. Thy're NOT expensive! To make. They're only expensive once they are sold to us!

---------- Post added 23-09-2014 at 10:42 ----------

Now then now, calm down :-)

Have you ever tried a proper straight razor? Tricky to use but if you prefer a wet shave over electric you will certainly prefer a straight over wet....

Just dont have the tip of your ears off whilst practicing.

Hahaha...to be honest I think I'd be too frightened to try one. I don't doubt that in 'expert' hands they are probably better then any other razor. But I simply wouldn't 'trust' myself not to do a Van Gough on myself!