Eccy Road going downhill?

Was on Eccy Road on Friday and noticed quite a few shops closed down, including Yankees - one of my favourites - hope this isn't the start of a slippery slope - love this area...

I'd say it was going more upmarket myself.... The old and tired stuffs going to make way for the new and shiny

Was on Eccy Road on Friday and noticed quite a few shops closed down, including Yankees - one of my favourites - hope this isn't the start of a slippery slope - love this area...

I also noticed Yankees had closed down. Too much competition I would say and high rents.

I'd agree with notepad.

Yankees closed probably due to increased competition in the BBQ/burger market in recent years. They've not really adapted and have subsequently lost out.

Businesses will always come and go on the road. It's very competitive and the rents aren't the cheapest, so margin for failure small.

I'd agree with notepad.

Yankees closed probably due to increased competition in the BBQ/burger market in recent years. They've not really adapted and have subsequently lost out.

Businesses will always come and go on the road. It's very competitive and the rents aren't the cheapest, so margin for failure small.

I thought the owner of Yankees retired? But would agree that the increased competition meant it wasn't sold as a going concern. Used to be my go-to place for a burger, but there are better alternatives now.

Guest makapaka

I'd say the exact opposite- far more has opened up than closed down.

if you not gonna move with the times,.. Your gonna stay in them... Ultimately on your own,that's how it is.

I've never really thought of Ecclesall Road as upmarket, it's always been very studenty, I'm not sure Sheffield has any truly upmarket areas to be honest. But yes there do seem to be more empty units these days, the old Boots unit at Hunters Bar has been empty for ages. I know they've got their shiny new place at Berkeley Precinct but I'm surprised nobody has moved into their old spot yet.

I would say Eccy Rd is definitely going downhill if you are going towards town,obviously uphill as you head out of town.

I would say Eccy Rd is definitely going downhill if you are going towards town,obviously uphill as you head out of town.

A very fair point! :hihi:

You don't really notice either, unless you're running up it!

I've never really thought of Ecclesall Road as upmarket, it's always been very studenty, I'm not sure Sheffield has any truly upmarket areas to be honest. But yes there do seem to be more empty units these days, the old Boots unit at Hunters Bar has been empty for ages. I know they've got their shiny new place at Berkeley Precinct but I'm surprised nobody has moved into their old spot yet.

In day's gone by Ecclesall Road was classed as the Bond Street of Sheffield being full of not only ladies dress shops but also men's exclusive tailors , many independent shops grocers, butchers, greengrocers a couple of pubs and cafes.

Then Hallam university extended and the terraced houses were bought up by greedy landlords turning them into multiple occupancy houses and charging per room.

It then started to cater more for students. Although several independent restaurants opened up they were then forced out by the chains that began opening, out pricing local businesses.

Sadly I have to agree that over the past 10 years it has gone very much downhill.

Also I must add I hate the expression Eccy Road a student expression I assume I also heard the Nursery Tavern referred too as " The Tav " when for years and years it was "The Nursery" even my parents who if still here would be 100+ referred to "The Nursery" oh well as someone said must move with the times

<snipped...>

Also I must add I hate the expression Eccy Road a student expression I assume I also heard the Nursery Tavern referred too as " The Tav " when for years and years it was "The Nursery" even my parents who if still here would be 100+ referred to "The Nursery" oh well as someone said must move with the times

:huh:

Hmmm...

... I suspect that's just another example of the yoof of today reducing everyday vocabulary to words of single syllables...

... and obviously, a visit to 'the Nurse' has completely different connotations... :blush: