Recommended Sheffield travel budget for a yank

I should add exclusive of airfare, since that can fluctuate.

First, I would want to come during football season, so that I could take in a Blades game. Perhaps stay a week tops. Though, yes, I would love to stay longer. I imagine this might be a solo journey as the hubbers doesn't fly.

I'm not too good for public transport, if that's the more affordable way to go. And I definitely DON'T see this happening this year, unless some uber-rich relative bites it and leaves me a crapton of cash.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is this trip part of your research for your book? Have a look at Premier Inns, it's a decent, dependable hotel chain and very reasonably priced. It has two locations in the city centre.

Is this trip part of your research for your book? Have a look at Premier Inns, it's a decent, dependable hotel chain and very reasonably priced. It has two locations in the city centre.

Yes, and for pleasure, because it looks like such an awesome place to be. But, given current personal budgetary restrictions, I am guessing it will be quite awhile before I can make it over there.

And . . . I'm just going to ignore that Blades/Bramall Lane dig in the interest of civility.

(sometime later . . . ) Wow! Looks like someone removed it altogether. Rad!

Edited by msjhord

You can collect a car at any airport, prebook online a few months in advance and they can be cheaper than the taxi from the airport. Manchester airport is the nearest that flies to usa. Manchester airport has a train station with direct trains to Sheffield. I would catch one of these. If you prebook a taxi it will set you back around £110 for a return.

Sheffield has Uber. These are probably the cheapest taxis when not in surge pricing. Lots of cheap hotels or cheap airbnb options as long as you don't arrive during the snooker world championship.

So, excluding airfare and including a football game...

You've got 1 week of accommodation, which could be between £30 and £100/night.

Train from the airport is £20 return or thereabouts.

A weekly tram+bus rider to get around is <£20 (the £20 ticket would include counties well outside Sheffield).

You'd have to eat, if you're on a budget you could manage that for £10 a day I expect, so £70...

I think that's about it for fixed costs, what's it come to? (I don't know how much the football costs, so add that on).

£290 + airfare and football ticket.

Yes, and for pleasure, because it looks like such an awesome place to be.

Well ... it's not exactly a tourist Mecca y'know, there's not ever such a lot to see and do here. Consider hiring a car then you could get out into the Peak District.

Well ... it's not exactly a tourist Mecca y'know, there's not ever such a lot to see and do here. Consider hiring a car then you could get out into the Peak District.

Oh, I'm aware. Personally, I think most tourist Meccas are overrated, though. And for what most families spend for a week at Disney World here, I'd rather spend filling up a passport with stamps.

I do appreciate all the input so far. And I do realize that some of these figures will fluctuate with time, inflation, so forth.

There is one great, big, looming danger that concerns me though: The fact that I may get over there and not want to come back . . . here.

Please don't forget travel insurance :thumbsup:

If you have it you'll never need it - that's the way I look at it.

Oh, I'm aware. Personally, I think most tourist Meccas are overrated, though. And for what most families spend for a week at Disney World here, I'd rather spend filling up a passport with stamps.

I do appreciate all the input so far. And I do realize that some of these figures will fluctuate with time, inflation, so forth.

There is one great, big, looming danger that concerns me though: The fact that I may get over there and not want to come back . . . here.

If its just for a week, then hire a car as you will be able to get round much faster. its not that public transport is bad, but as suggested you can have access to the peak district. As the airfair is the major cost I would be a bit more ambitious and come over for 10-14 days so you arent rushing about as much. that would give you the time to take in two matches.

If its just for a week, then hire a car as you will be able to get round much faster. its not that public transport is bad, but as suggested you can have access to the peak district. As the airfair is the major cost I would be a bit more ambitious and come over for 10-14 days so you arent rushing about as much. that would give you the time to take in two matches.

I'd second that. Hiring a small car from Hertz for a week is about £50, more than the stagecoach ticket, but so much more convenient.

Compared to the airfare, the actual cost of being here for a week or two is relatively small I'd say.

Public transport information for Sheffield can be found at http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com. A weeks pass for all the buses and trams within the City is £16.50.

You may also choose to venture out of the City into the Peak District National Park, there are a few regular bus routes (218 to Bakewell and Chatsworth House, 272 to Castleton via the Hope Valley, 273/274 to Derwent Dams, 65 to Buxton and X17 to Matlock) but these cost extra.

Sheffield's visitor website http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk can give you an idea of any special events going on around the City.