LED strips, z-wave and Fribaro

Has anyone used a product like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fibaro-FGRGBWM-441-RGBW-Controller/dp/B00DZ3VKZS/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1490173947&sr=1-1&keywords=fibaro+rgbw+z-wave

It's a z-wave (so Samsung Smartthings for example) controlled RGBW inline dimmer for led strips...

Finding a controller that could be controlled by amazon echo or google home has been a challenge, but this appears to what I've been looking for.

I'm adding new LED lighting to my living room, this will be in line on the circuit, and after the electrician is done I should have a full L/N up to the light switch and can have a standard z-wave enabled lightswitch as well

My main question is just why?

Why to which bit? Why would I want LED strips? Why would I want it to be controlled by Amazon Echo? Why something else?

Why to which bit? Why would I want LED strips? Why would I want it to be controlled by Amazon Echo? Why something else?

My mate used those led strips and controls them with an app on his phone.

Why not just a light switch?

Smart lighting under control of Amazon Echo or your phone or whatever, it just seems like an over complification of your basic light switch.

Smart lighting under control of Amazon Echo or your phone or whatever, it just seems like an over complification of your basic light switch.

I've got light wave products installed and believe me it's great being able to control stuff through a phone /tablet

I'll have a light switch as well, but why not have it under voice control if you can.

My front room already has LED strips that are controlled by a lightswitch, and then to change colour you have to use the remote. Which is all fine, but voice control is pretty impressive. I was playing with my friends lights last week. "Alexa turn the hall light on", "Alexa, play song xyz by zyx", I was very impressed.

---------- Post added 22-03-2017 at 11:56 ----------

Vesternet have a good selection of that type of thing.

http://www.vesternet.com/

Personally, I use these

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM2711.html

How do you use that switch to start party mode?

---------- Post added 22-03-2017 at 11:58 ----------

I've got light wave products installed and believe me it's great being able to control stuff through a phone /tablet

Is that the megaman lightwaveRF kit?

I'll have a light switch as well, but why not have it under voice control if you can.

My front room already has LED strips that are controlled by a lightswitch, and then to change colour you have to use the remote. Which is all fine, but voice control is pretty impressive. I was playing with my friends lights last week. "Alexa turn the hall light on", "Alexa, play song xyz by zyx", I was very impressed.

---------- Post added 22-03-2017 at 11:56 ----------

How do you use that switch to start party mode?

---------- Post added 22-03-2017 at 11:58 ----------

Is that the megaman lightwaveRF kit?

Yes it is that one

They don't seem to do a controller for RGB LED strips at the moment. They did one in the past, but it's been discontinued and not replaced.

Has anyone used a product like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fibaro-FGRGBWM-441-RGBW-Controller/dp/B00DZ3VKZS/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1490173947&sr=1-1&keywords=fibaro+rgbw+z-wave

It's a z-wave (so Samsung Smartthings for example) controlled RGBW inline dimmer for led strips...

Finding a controller that could be controlled by amazon echo or google home has been a challenge, but this appears to what I've been looking for.

I'm adding new LED lighting to my living room, this will be in line on the circuit, and after the electrician is done I should have a full L/N up to the light switch and can have a standard z-wave enabled lightswitch as well

I would be more inclined to look into a larger player in the field, such as Philips Hue. http://www2.meethue.com/en-gb/products/?category=131217

Smaller companies tend to run for a while and then vanish and the last thing you want is for support for their app to be withdrawn and you then are left with no means of controlling your lights.