Can you be clamped/fined for expired MOT?

If I fail my MOT and can't get the work done until a couple of weeks later, can the car still be on the road waiting outside the garage until the repairs are done?

Also, can DVLA send a fine due to the MOT expiring?

If I fail my MOT and can't get the work done until a couple of weeks later, can the car still be on the road waiting outside the garage until the repairs are done?

Also, can DVLA send a fine due to the MOT expiring?

if its on the public highway even if not being driven its an offence unless on the way to the MOT on that day and could be clamped if one of those dvla vans drives past. better off leaving it on private land and driving it on the day of the MOT unless you know the Mot guy.

if its on the public highway even if not being driven its an offence unless on the way to the MOT on that day and could be clamped if one of those dvla vans drives past. better off leaving it on private land and driving it on the day of the MOT unless you know the Mot guy.

I understand its only a £100 fixed penalty, what are the odds on you being stopped?

I'm sure dvla can only clamp untaxed cars not one that's got no mot on

This is why I take my car for it's MOT a couple of weeks early.

i

If it fails then I'm still legal with it being on the road until the current MOT expires, by which time I've fixed the issue.

Or at least that's the plan, I've only had 1 advisory in 4 years and that was because I'd left my nieces car seat in and he couldn't test the rear belt

This is why I take my car for it's MOT a couple of weeks early.

i

If it fails then I'm still legal with it being on the road until the current MOT expires, by which time I've fixed the issue.

Or at least that's the plan, I've only had 1 advisory in 4 years and that was because I'd left my nieces car seat in and he couldn't test the rear belt

If a car is taken for an mot early and fails is any remaining time on old test then void as legally its failed and you lose the time left ?

If a car is taken for an mot early and fails is any remaining time on old test then void as legally its failed and you lose the time left ?

Nope, but residents theory that he is still legal is flawed. It is an offense to drive a vehicle in an unroadworthy condition whether there is a test on it or not.

Says here from.gov

Failing the MOT

If your vehicle fails the MOT:

you’ll get a ‘refusal of an MOT test certificate’ from the test centre

it will be recorded in the MOT database

You can appeal the result if you think it’s wrong.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

have the failed defects fixed

a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

I understand its only a £100 fixed penalty, what are the odds on you being stopped?

It comes up on the number plate cameras.

Nope, but residents theory that he is still legal is flawed. It is an offense to drive a vehicle in an unroadworthy condition whether there is a test on it or not.

Failing an MoT test doesnt necessarily mean its unroadworty though

As with any examination it is only really meaningful at the moment of examination.

Driving out of the test centre you could run a nail through the tyre wall, making the car unroadworthy.

The MOT certificate would not save you then. :mad:

It comes up on the number plate cameras.

That could be the case, but it only matters if someone is watching the cameras and there are police cars available.

If the police clamp down, they catch hundreds that are not insured.