Opening a museum

Advice please

I am currently torn between two ideas I have for museums I wish to open.

I am considering a princess Diana museum to be located in wadsley bridge.

But I feel more drawn to opening a rolling pin museum, and hoyland common/ wombwell are the obvious locations.

Has anyone got any museum curatory or funding experience. How do I get footfall? What do I charge? My dream is for the museum to be packed with school visits in the week but a real family fun day out at the weekend.

General advice and opines welcome and appreciated.

Advice please

But I feel more drawn to opening a rolling pin museum, and hoyland common/ wombwell are the obvious locations.

Has anyone got any museum curatory or funding experience. How do I get footfall? What do I charge? My dream is for the museum to be packed with school visits in the week but a real family fun day out at the weekend.

Serious question? Am I missing the joke here?

Serious question? Am I missing the joke here?

You mean you dont know how women think // They have great ideas mostly stupid ones. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

You have to join in. How do I get footfall?// advertise. school visits free . Place to open a rolling

pin museum / hoyland common/ wombwell now you got me there PASS

Edited by spider1

Advice please

I can tell you have given this some serious thought and must have fully costed business plan for both options. Can I recomend you talk to a couple of local museums like Darfield Area Amenity Society, http://www.darfield.btck.co.uk and Experience Barnsley, http://www.experience-barnsley.com

Thank you Blackbeard. I am working up business plan. I am not looking to make huge amounts. As long as I can provide myself with a living and more importantly provide much needed amenities to families, in terms of fun educational days out.

Do you know named contacts at the two places you mention that you could help link up with?

I will ignore the other two sniggering responses.

Thank you Blackbeard. I am working up business plan. I am not looking to make huge amounts. As long as I can provide myself with a living and more importantly provide much needed amenities to families, in terms of fun educational days out.

Do you know named contacts at the two places you mention that you could help link up with?

I will ignore the other two sniggering responses.

Please don't be too hard, initially I did laugh myself but if you are serious about this, I suggest you spend a lot of time researching this. Most museums do not charge (and there are plenty of them to choose from). Plus would kids really want to go to a rolling pin museum (and I'm struggling to think how they have changed over the years!)

Your start up costs will be fairly high (irrespective of what you display in your museum), so breaking even will be a challenge.

If this is a joke, nice one :) If it isn't, please think it through thoroughly!

Why would Hoyland Common or Wombwell be a better place for a rolling pin museum, pr Wadsley for a Princess Di one please?

Please don't be too hard, initially I did laugh myself but if you are serious about this, I suggest you spend a lot of time researching this. Most museums do not charge (and there are plenty of them to choose from). Plus would kids really want to go to a rolling pin museum (and I'm struggling to think how they have changed over the years!)

Your start up costs will be fairly high (irrespective of what you display in your museum), so breaking even will be a challenge.

If this is a joke, nice one :) If it isn't, please think it through thoroughly!

Thanks for advice....kids love rolling dough and with bake off, rolling pins are a high interest item to kids and families. I do intend to have an annexe for wooden spoons etc.

---------- Post added 30-08-2016 at 17:03 ----------

Why would Hoyland Common or Wombwell be a better place for a rolling pin museum, pr Wadsley for a Princess Di one please?

Are you taking the mick? Actually don't answer I will ignore non constructive advice

No, I am not taking the mick, asking if those areas had a particular relevance. A genuine question.

Thanks for advice....kids love rolling dough and with bake off, rolling pins are a high interest item to kids and families. I do intend to have an annexe for wooden spoons etc.

---------- Post added 30-08-2016 at 17:03 ----------

Are you taking the mick? Actually don't answer I will ignore non constructive advice

<removed> take surely??

If not, I, and most other posters on this thread are desperate to know why Wombwell is an obvious location for a rolling pin museum.

Edited by nikki-red

Ok, assuming you're serious about this (I'm unconvinced but hey-ho) the rolling pin idea is very niche. Yes kids like baking but how interested are they going to be in looking at rolling pins which are, to be fair, all pretty similar. A rolling pin museum is not going to be packed with school parties all week and families at weekends, sorry but it's just not going to happen.

The Princess Diana idea might generate more interest depending on what you plan to put on display. Do you have any unique items relating to her - clothing, jewellery, letters, that kind of thing? This is your competition :

http://www.dianaprincessofwalesmemorialfund.org/information-and-resources/exhibitions-and-memorials-diana-princess-wales

How much capital do you have to get this started? Do you have premises in mind? Why Wombwell? Inquiring minds need to know.

Rolling pins are all pretty similar????? Have you seen the huge variety of patterns that can be created on patterned pins. It's phenominal and children will be mesmerised by it in my opinion.

There seems to be a lot of questions about Wombwell. I actually said wombwelll or Hoyland Common. HC in my opinion is more relevant but there are less premises than in Wombwelll.

Wombwelll also has a golf club and I am hoping a fair few golfers will fancy dropping in.

Re: Diana items. I have many newspapers from over the years. Some wedding mugs, plates etc. Some art that I have done over the years, painting, sculptures, collages. And much more. I also look out for bits in charity shoos and car boot sales. Again I feel this may be more popular and Wadsley bridge seems ideal.

But my passion is rolling pins, with the wooden spoon annexe and a potato masher station.

The constructive advice from all is helpful.

I value it immensely.