South Sea - Broomhill.

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of taking on the lease of the South Sea in Broomhill. I am interested to know from customers past and present what is good about the place. What is bad about it and what as perspective customers what would make you go in the pub. All you comments will be welcome. (be gentle with me)

Cheers.

I think that is the only Broomhill pub in to which I have never ventured. It always seemed to be a bit like a Working Men's Club, which it probably wasn't. It always seemed to give the impression that only a few saddos ever drank in there. I think it needs a more appealing feel to it, outside and in (having said that, I have only seen in through the windows and that was a long time ago). As it is just slightly off the beaten track, people tend to forget it is there, and so miss it out on their pub crawls. As a prospective 'sometimes client' I think it needs the WOW factor to entice the crowds. You need to make it a place that people will remember, be that by making it the best typical English pub ever, or giving it new character ie bistro or some different style all together. Good luck!

It's just around the corner from the Abbey Glen dry cleaners, opposite the building that used to be Whichcraft.

It's external appearance is offputting - rather like a 1960's box. Never been inside but pass it every Friday night on my way home through Broomhill from Walkely to Woodseats. When are you taking over? May do a slight pit stop one Friday evening for early bar..:thumbsup:

good luck, 4 years i lived in broomhill, went in on my first night, never to return...

you should do a good trade though, all the best in your new venture

Thanks for your comments. Taking over day is Wednesday 11th April. Hope to see you all there.

The original South Sea pub used to stand where Abbey Glen cleaners was. (Abbey Glen have recently moved out of the premises.) When the new development was built the new South Sea was in effect, relocated to Spooner Road.

This, I hasten to add being well before my time!

I started going to pubs in 1986 and often ventured into Broomhill. The York, in its former guise - traditional and welcoming - became my 'local', but the gang usually called into The Broomhill Tavern, The Fox & Duck and sometimes, The Nottingham House.

We more or less avoided the South Sea because it had a reputation and this continued right up to its becoming a Scream/student-type establishment. However, I began to call in and it was a thriving, decent pub, always busy, particularly on a Sunday afternoon. At one point they did superb, cheap sizzler meals (steaks served on a red hot iron pan) and there used to be pinball machines and so on.

Sadly, like the bastardisation of the once wonderful York, any pub which becomes student orientated soon becomes off limits for me. The decor is appalling, the beer is garbage and there's usually nowhere to sit. And that's saying nothing about the students....,

Broomhill is crying out for a locals' pub. Get the real ale back on, serve decent food in decent portions and stop hankering to the students - there's the Fox & Duck, York and Notty for that customer base.

Put the prices up; that's usually enough to deter them!!

I used to live in Broomhill and only really went to the Broomhill Tav and The Notty House. I agree that Broomhill could do with another more traditional pub with decent beers and food, good seating and music, and a pub quiz perhaps! I was never a fan of the yellow card pubs even in my student days, and never ventured into the South Seas. Must admit that it never looked too appealing from the outside.

The original South Sea pub used to stand where Abbey Glen cleaners was. (Abbey Glen have recently moved out of the premises.) When the new development was built the new South Sea was in effect, relocated to Spooner Road.

This, I hasten to add being well before my time!

I started going to pubs in 1986 and often ventured into Broomhill. The York, in its former guise - traditional and welcoming - became my 'local', but the gang usually called into The Broomhill Tavern, The Fox & Duck and sometimes, The Nottingham House.

We more or less avoided the South Sea because it had a reputation and this continued right up to its becoming a Scream/student-type establishment. However, I began to call in and it was a thriving, decent pub, always busy, particularly on a Sunday afternoon. At one point they did superb, cheap sizzler meals (steaks served on a red hot iron pan) and there used to be pinball machines and so on.

Sadly, like the bastardisation of the once wonderful York, any pub which becomes student orientated soon becomes off limits for me. The decor is appalling, the beer is garbage and there's usually nowhere to sit. And that's saying nothing about the students....,

Broomhill is crying out for a locals' pub. Get the real ale back on, serve decent food in decent portions and stop hankering to the students - there's the Fox & Duck, York and Notty for that customer base.

Put the prices up; that's usually enough to deter them!!

I'll 2nd that!! The place used to be okay before it was turned into a crappy Scream pub. Used to be able to get an 8oz sizling steak, onion rings and a pint for £4.99. Also used to go to the Last Laugh Comedy Club there....

It was fine back in around early 80's when it was proper local pub.....get it back to that, and it may be a good venture. The YELLOWCARD decor must go......and real ales would be nice, its been many many years since they had on proper ale there.....about 30 I think!!!!!

Its ok but the last few times Ive been in there the staff have been really miserable! Theres even a sign up joking about how the staff arent very happy and they arent lieing!

Last time I went I ordered some drinks and before I could finish saying what else I wanted the girl just walked off and started making them. Then she came back with 2 drinks and I was about to ask for the others and she just told me the price. I told her I hadnt finished ordering and she was really snotty, huffing and puffing and just repeated the price! I just paid her and had to get someone else to get the other drinks as she was clearly not interested in getting me the others I wanted!

We're going down Broomhill tonight but dont think we'll be venturing in there coz of staff the last few times.

Its a nice little pub in a good location but in my opinion you need to sort out the staff.